CLS buying guide (C219/W219)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Teego I think you may be right although I hope the opposite.

I'm going to try and get MSL to take a look. If the car is a nail I'll try and return it.
If I can't get MSL we have a good family mechanic who should take a look.

Have many people on the forums upgraded the swirl flaps to the aluminium variety?

When the power steering, brakes and engine power went on mine it turned out to be the alternator that had gone. I also changed both batteries. It was almost impossible to steer and without brakes it stopped 1 foot away from my house wall! Highly dangerous! Might not be your alternator if it starts ok, but might be good to get it tested.

A bit of a thread revival and update... And of course a little plea for help.

Firstly I'm absolutely in love with the CLS. Such a great cruiser. I've had a few things done since I've had it.

Firstly the gearbox service has been fully done by Transmission Technology in Knowle. Highly rate Ken, just a very skilled highly knowledgeable guy on anything to do with transmissions. Always has some interesting cars around too.

Unfortunately he couldn't change the diff oil, think the filler bolt was real tight so will need heating up. No biggie, no issues just thought I'd change it out. Will get it done as part of the next service.

Deffo changes with a bit more urgency.

I'm getting a steady 30mpg but I guess I'm probably doing relatively short journeys all on Shell V-Power.

It was pulling to the left a little too much. So MercLand @jaymanek sorted that for me with 4 wheels balanced at the same time. Feels much more planted, still pulls a little to the left but after some reading I think that's just a 'feature'.

I ordered a PCV valve from Germany (genuine Mercedes) and thought I'd start my first DIY job on her.

All went pretty smoothly, quite nice to work on tbh.

Although... There was a fair bit of oil around the PCV and there was clearly a clamp missing on the pipe closest to the PCV unit itself.

All replaced and the new one looks alot better built tbh.

When I removed the batwing the turbo inlet seal was crushed. Doh! The place I bought it from serviced and must have just hammered it on.
The seal is cut and there's a fair bit of oil around, luckily I haven't really driven the car alot so hoping not much damage. I've cleaned it up and seems to feel a little better.

My questions are...
1. What is the part number for a replacement seal. I'm a bit confused...
The one i removed part number ends in 40, has 4 locating dots and 4 locating lugs.

On eBay they seem to vary from £16-42 all look pretty similar. I noted some have the lugs and some don't but all claim to fit OM642.

2. How much damage is likely to have been done from a poorly fitted seal?
Should I be budgeting an actuator?
I'm a little worried ...

Any help or advice greatly appreciated. I've had a bit of a search but slightly overloaded and confused if I'm being honest.

My next project is to hard wire a dash camera...

A bit of a thread revival and update... And of course a little plea for help.

Firstly I'm absolutely in love with the CLS. Such a great cruiser. I've had a few things done since I've had it.

Firstly the gearbox service has been fully done by Transmission Technology in Knowle. Highly rate Ken, just a very skilled highly knowledgeable guy on anything to do with transmissions. Always has some interesting cars around too.

Unfortunately he couldn't change the diff oil, think the filler bolt was real tight so will need heating up. No biggie, no issues just thought I'd change it out. Will get it done as part of the next service.

Deffo changes with a bit more urgency.

I'm getting a steady 30mpg but I guess I'm probably doing relatively short journeys all on Shell V-Power.

It was pulling to the left a little too much. So MercLand @jaymanek sorted that for me with 4 wheels balanced at the same time. Feels much more planted, still pulls a little to the left but after some reading I think that's just a 'feature'.

I ordered a PCV valve from Germany (genuine Mercedes) and thought I'd start my first DIY job on her.

All went pretty smoothly, quite nice to work on tbh.

Although... There was a fair bit of oil around the PCV and there was clearly a clamp missing on the pipe closest to the PCV unit itself.

All replaced and the new one looks alot better built tbh.

When I removed the batwing the turbo inlet seal was crushed. Doh! The place I bought it from serviced and must have just hammered it on.
The seal is cut and there's a fair bit of oil around, luckily I haven't really driven the car alot so hoping not much damage. I've cleaned it up and seems to feel a little better.

My questions are...
1. What is the part number for a replacement seal. I'm a bit confused...
The one i removed part number ends in 40, has 4 locating dots and 4 locating lugs.

On eBay they seem to vary from £16-42 all look pretty similar. I noted some have the lugs and some don't but all claim to fit OM642.

2. How much damage is likely to have been done from a poorly fitted seal?
Should I be budgeting an actuator?
I'm a little worried ...

My next project is to hard wire a dash camera...

Posted twice by accident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom