CLS Comand software W219

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've recently bought a CLS 2009 with NTG2.5 and HDD. Did they update your firmware at the same time? I've got 08/13 showing as SW when I use engineering mode but have booked it in with the dealer to have the firmware updated. I'm assuming (rightly or wrongly) that this will be done free of charge referring to the TIPS document mentioned earlier in the post? The car has always been serviced at MB and I would also assume that this update should have been done by them at the time of servicing whilst under warranty? On the phone, they said they may need to charge £100 for a diagnosis even though I have explicitly told them it needs a firmware update!!:doh: Up to this point, MB customer service has been shocking!!

I bought the up-to-date DVD discs from the dealer on Monday but read that it needs the updated firmware before these will install so haven't tried them yet.

Thanks

UPDATE:

Dealer (Glasgow) tried to charge £100 for the firmware update and after some discussion done the entire job for free! :bannana: The dealers statement ran along the lines of "The firmware update has to be requested by the customer and isn't compulsory as part of the service schedule"! Can't understand why you'd expect every customer to know about a firmware update and request this as part of the service under warranty and surely if you are wanting people to buy the nav update, you'd make sure the system was running the most updated firmware! Doesn't make sense to me.

Dealer also installed the Sat Nav software for me and everything seems to be spot on. Also noticed that I can now use SDHC cards (don't know what the capacity limit is but I'll have a look) where as before, I could only use SD (with a maximum capacity of 4GB).

All in all, generally pleased and I'm starting to warm to the service I'm getting now. :thumb:

New cls owner

Hello recently bought a cls 320cdi 08 so go easy as this is my first merc
. Having read your advice I have found the engineer menu and I have a very old software.

I am getting the lumpy gear change when cold so will a software update through command solve this or do I need an ecu update? Are they the same thing?

Is it a service I need to resolve these problems

Like I say still wet behind the ears with Mercedes so please speak slowly:crazy:

W219: Comand firmware enigma

Evening all,

Looking for some help with my Comand NTG 2.5, and its inability to show me the 'Engineering Menu' :confused:

Had my car serviced on Tuesday at the dealer, and asked for the firmware to be updated at the same time. They questioned why, and I just said that I had some new genuine map updates that needed the latest firmware to work.

When I collected the car I was advised that the procedure had only been partially successful? Essentially they had updated the firmware as far as they could and also updated my maps up to to about 2012/13 he thought. They also appeared to have charged me for the pleasure.

Anyway, I thanked them for the their efforts and left. When I reached home I tried to access the 'Engineering Menu' to see the changes. Used the usual technique HangUp/*/6, and nothing happens, even after being held for about 10 seconds???

I tried the 'Dealer Menu' key strokes and that loads up, but there is nothing to see??

So now I am unsure whether any firmware updates have been undertaken and also what version the maps are at :dk:

I'm not sure what to do next. Any of you guys experienced a similar issue where the 'Engineering Menu' has been locked out???

Hope some of the gents from Comand Online are hovering on the forums and might be able to shed some light.:thumb:

Thanks in advance.

Evening all,

Looking for some help with my Comand NTG 2.5, and its inability to show me the 'Engineering Menu' :confused:

Had my car serviced on Tuesday at the dealer, and asked for the firmware to be updated at the same time. They questioned why, and I just said that I had some new genuine map updates that needed the latest firmware to work.

When I collected the car I was advised that the procedure had only been partially successful? Essentially they had updated the firmware as far as they could and also updated my maps up to to about 2012/13 he thought. They also appeared to have charged me for the pleasure.

Anyway, I thanked them for the their efforts and left. When I reached home I tried to access the 'Engineering Menu' to see the changes. Used the usual technique HangUp/*/6, and nothing happens, even after being held for about 10 seconds???

I tried the 'Dealer Menu' key strokes and that loads up, but there is nothing to see??

So now I am unsure whether any firmware updates have been undertaken and also what version the maps are at :dk:

I'm not sure what to do next. Any of you guys experienced a similar issue where the 'Engineering Menu' has been locked out???

Hope some of the gents from Comand Online are hovering on the forums and might be able to shed some light.:thumb:

Thanks in advance.

The firmware update either works or it doesnt. There isnt a halfway measure on this. The fact you cant now get the engineering mode is a bit worrying to be honest as the menus are accessible even with the latest firmware applied. the maps take at least 1.5 hours to load after the firmware has been done. Firmware for the comand takes about 40 minutes but if you have Media interface, HK or DAB then these will also get their firmware done and each takes a while to be done.

"Just as an addendum to this, I managed to get the dealer to update the firmware on my 08 CLS to the latest (9/29) for free by quoting TIPS document number GI82.85-P-046208.

They didn't believe me at first but when they looked it up they were happy to - I think they must be able to claim for the labour back from MB"

please can you explain what is this TIPS document, and could the procedure be applied to my 2007 CLS?

thanks

The firmware update either works or it doesnt. There isnt a halfway measure on this. The fact you cant now get the engineering mode is a bit worrying to be honest as the menus are accessible even with the latest firmware applied. the maps take at least 1.5 hours to load after the firmware has been done. Firmware for the comand takes about 40 minutes but if you have Media interface, HK or DAB then these will also get their firmware done and each takes a while to be done.

Thanks for the response Alfie,
Essentially the service rep advised that they installed the firmware/map updates in sequence. Then they must have reached a point where they were unable to continue? Hence only partially successful.
My biggest issue is that the 'Engineering Menu' has now somehow been disabled. The buttons still operate as individual functions, but not when combined to access the menu :confused:

I am concerned by your concern Alfie :eek:

I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place, I want to go back and ask why the menu doesn't work, but at same time don't want to be told the function is not for 'civilian' access :mad:

I was toying with the idea of doing a total system reset. The pain would be re-calibrating the Linguatronic and copying all the music back :wallbash:

Just had a callback from MB.

Advised that I wasn't happy about the firmware update charge that had been levied.

Was told that it was a legitimate charge. I mentioned the TIPS document reference, and there was not knowledge of it. In fact he was adamant that it probably only applied to three year old cars with maps update option.

He did say he would check and respond.

Does anyone actually know what is stated in this TIPS document?? I only have the reference, so it's difficult to stand my ground.

I'm really worried that they've damaged my unit, but I can't prove it. :mad:

Just had a callback from MB.

Advised that I wasn't happy about the firmware update charge that had been levied.

Was told that it was a legitimate charge. I mentioned the TIPS document reference, and there was not knowledge of it. In fact he was adamant that it probably only applied to three year old cars with maps update option.

He did say he would check and respond.

Does anyone actually know what is stated in this TIPS document?? I only have the reference, so it's difficult to stand my ground.

I'm really worried that they've damaged my unit, but I can't prove it. :mad:

The TIPS document will detail what bug fixes are applicable to the various units, whats fixed by what etc. We cannot reproduce the document or publish it here because it is Mercedes copyright.

I would go into the dealer and ask them to look the TIPS document up on their system.

Morning Alfie,

If you have access to the TIPS document in question, does it make any reference to only being applicable to cars that are three years old or less?

My COMAND system is NTG 2.5 installed in a 2008 model.

Also, does it mention anything about firmware updates being FOC?

Final update

OK gents, this is how the situation played out.

Got a call yesterday from MB, was advised that the TIPS document did relate to COMAND updates that could be recharged to the manufacturer.

Unfortunately, in my situation because the update process wasn't routine it was chargeable. Apparently the reason was down to they spending 1.5hrs trying to get the system updated.

What annoyed me was that the car has a dealer service history, yet all the franchises never thought it was necessary to keep the system up to date as part of the car being in for services. Despite it being stated as an extra value in the itinerary of a service on the MB website. :fail

I have decided not to pursue this any further. I think I might change my service provider to an independent going forward.

Thanks to everybody who tried to help, much appreciated.

Hello,
Does anyone know a way of updating my maps for my W219 2006 320 CLS.
Would be interested to have cams on the nav if possible.
The maps DVD I have is the original one that came with the car.

Cez.

Don't know how big you phone is but mine fits perfectly on it's side in the recess when the door to the ashtray is open.

Run TomTom Speed cams app, which is free to use, and you effectively get dual screen nav with cams on the phone and map on the top :thumb:

Also a good for flicking between Torque app screens and the like as well.

I believe in my 2013 cls I have ntg 4.5
However maps have been updated only once in 2014. Would this tips document apply to my car as well or is it only for older cars?

I have a 180 a class new type ,the speedo side of the screen has gone off a couple of times has anyone heard of this before,the dealer says they have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom