CLS Diesel Sooty Exhausts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tigerade

Car
CLS 320 diesel
I've noticed a lot of soot round the tips of the exhaust of my 2006 CLS Diesel when I'm driving.

Not so much when just driving along at slow speeds or constant 60-70mph on motorway which is most of my driving, but the moment I give it a bit of oomph, there is a lot of soot that comes out the back.

Can anyone tell me why this is and how I can prevent this?

As said, its a diesel that will happen, it worsens if the car is remapped in my experience.

They're not called "soot chuckers" for nothing.

As said, buy a petrol or deal with it, everyone behind you is having to. :p

Sorry to disagree with all of you.....lol

My 100,000 mile C320CDI hardly any black smoke in 2nd gear flat out onwards through all gears and quickly nothing when on the move.

Not even worth talking about!.....and my model does not even have a DPF!

The secret is 2T oil in the fuel and it runs so smoothly, quietly and like a dream.

Oh and by the way i have a Celtic map which is superb and makes no difference to the amount of black smoke, how can it at 5mpg more with the remap....think about it!

I had more black smoke from my petrol Volvo T5 turbo with a remap out the exhaust and why because it only did 23 mpg around the houses.

I have had petrols all my 50yrs of motoring life and this is my first diesel and i wish it had been my first car.

Dirt and soot out the back is due to poor maintenance and how you drive!...and this goes for all engines. Don`t forget most of you money earners with expensive later Mercedes use just the cheapest fuel to save money!

I really do get sick of others knocking diesels, we only know what we are told and they change their minds so often and probably next week we will be told the best thing for old age is sticking your nose up the exhaust....lol

People are sheep ....but count me out.

Read this: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html

Last edited:
Well to get rid of the cloud of smoke/soot when you accelerate in a diesel is to use the kick down more often,had it happen to me last week overtaking a cyclist in a 30 mph road and around the bend which was a fair way off came a van doing about 60mph,I had to hit the loud pedal quick and it went down at least two gears and I got the big kick in the back as I zoomed past the cyclist and back onto my side of the road,a look into the rear view mirror revealed the cyclist needed oxygen badly giant soot cloud all around him,you just have to do that far more often,not cover cyclists with smog but use the kick down

Oh I've started something here, buy a petrol lol.

I've been doing a 512 mile commute every week for years now and always had a diesel for it. Yes i know i should give it a good boot full every now and again but I've had the car for a month and its never done it before.

Its also just been and had a C-Service last week and been on Star with only issue to an O2 sensors before Cat which its going back to supplying dealer for.

And I've also had another question answered with this thread, no dpf so im happy with that.

Keith, im intrested in hearing about your map.

Last edited:
Mines been mapped and doesn't give clouds of smoke either. It gets wot every time I go out in it but you still get soot on exhaust tips after a week or so! And it's fully serviced on time and only drinks v power. By the way we'll worth mapping you won't regret it

My 2008 CLS320 CDi has no DPF (made sure I bought one without as they're a pain in the ****), it has now covered 120,000 miles and was remapped about 35,000 miles back - it doesn't chuck out any black smoke/soot even when enjoying all of the horses the remap unleashed!! I've run it on Shell V-Power Nitro or BP Ultimate since I got it which has done amazing things to the fuel economy (my brim to brim calculations show an average of 39.7mpg over the last 35,000 miles), it runs nice and quiet and smooth and I only have to use chrome cleaner on the tail pipes every other wash as they don't get that grubby! Premium fuels cost more at the pump but I have found the fuel economy and extra Shell points mean it doesn't cost anymore in the long run (be patient you won't see any improvement in MPG for at least 3 or 4 tanks). It also looks after the injectors etc - my W211 which had the same OM642 engine covered 172,000 miles on the original injectors, fuel pump and EGR valve. I suspect it would improve your smoke/soot issue too. (BTW I don't work for Shell or BP - just my experience over the last 3 years or so!)

Mines been mapped and doesn't give clouds of smoke either. It gets wot every time I go out in it but you still get soot on exhaust tips after a week or so! And it's fully serviced on time and only drinks v power. By the way we'll worth mapping you won't regret it

Definitely agree - way better with a remap!!

Its a strange on this fuel lark. I must admit a always use the Texaco garage round the corner but last week i put Tesco fuel in as i happened to be passing which is something i never normally use.

I wouldn't agree with the better mpg when remapped, that's not what I've found. Mine doesn't smoke at all when being driven, I'm talking purely about build up of soot on the exhaust tips which definitely builds up quicker and dirtier than before the map.

I wouldn't agree with the better mpg when remapped, that's not what I've found. Mine doesn't smoke at all when being driven, I'm talking purely about build up of soot on the exhaust tips which definitely builds up quicker and dirtier than before the map.

My MPG dropped for a bit after the remap as I was using the loud pedal a lot and having a bit of fun:D!! When was yours done? If it was recent is it just throwing out all the built up crap as you blast along with the extra power you've found?

My MPG dropped for a bit after the remap as I was using the loud pedal a lot and having a bit of fun:D!! When was yours done? If it was recent is it just throwing out all the built up crap as you blast along with the extra power you've found?

Mine was done @ the PCS meet last year (May?). My car does very little mileage these days so when I do use it I tend to drive it enthusiastically, but I would say its no worse on MPG but also no better since being remapped. The car does currently have an issue with an exhaust sensor which could lead to lower mpg but I was told it isn't worth worrying about.

For what it is worth with all the negative posts .....when i purchased my motor i had a 150 mile ride home and i had to stick to 70/75 to just get on the readout 39.9mpg.

Now after my remap which is Celtic the same as PCS does i can travel at really high ** speed on cruise control and get 38mpg so the remap did something. Still using Shell V Power so that was not the difference.

Around the houses i get 35mpg at 55/60 i can achieve 45.1mpg which is the highest as i cannot drive like a granny, 1 hour of that was enough....

I don`t really know why our members always fight against diesel and remaps.

A remap does what it says, it has to, as it is the heart of the engine.

I have always believed in cleaners/additives etc. but this two stroke did it for me and when i miss a dose out i notice the difference....Just 20ml per gallon of diesel transforms the motor.

While we are on the subject of diesels. A DPF motor is just as dirty as a non DPF one....as it happens the DPF will just save up the crap inside it and blow it all out at once in a regen....so where is the GREEN thingy there as the fuel is richer to enable a regen?........just goes to show that spending £1000 on a new DPF is just a wallet emptying excercise for George Osbourne!

Last edited:
The best MPG I've managed to record for a particular journey on the trip computer (which I know is usually a little optimistic by a couple of MPG!) was 48.5 - I have a photo of the readout (sad I know but I impressed myself with my restraint!!) but can't work out how to post it - it says the journey was 82 miles long at an average of 61 MPH over 1 hour and 21 minutes. Not bad for a big fast beasty!!

Mine was done @ the PCS meet last year (May?). My car does very little mileage these days so when I do use it I tend to drive it enthusiastically, but I would say its no worse on MPG but also no better since being remapped. The car does currently have an issue with an exhaust sensor which could lead to lower mpg but I was told it isn't worth worrying about.

I have read that about the O2 sensor but i had mine replaced and it did make a difference.

The best MPG I've managed to record for a particular journey on the trip computer (which I know is usually a little optimistic by a couple of MPG!) was 48.5 - I have a photo of the readout (sad I know but I impressed myself with my restraint!!) but can't work out how to post it - it says the journey was 82 miles long at an average of 61 MPH over 1 hour and 21 minutes. Not bad for a big fast beasty!!

That is a good figure ....perhaps if i had been gentle and patient for another 21 minutes i may of been rewarded also. Sadly i won`t ever find out i just cannot drive slow as i had enough when my Father was alive as he drove lorries and buses for a long time and he was always in 4th by 20mph and did no more that 45/50 mph.

When he bought a new 997cc Anglia in 1966 he had to have four new pistons as he had knocked them out by labouring the engine....lol

Yeh, I have a bit of a soot build up around the tips. I do about 500 miles a week, use v-power only and give it some beens now and then to keep things from cruding up. Avg mpg is about 40 over the last 25k but I have had it over 50mpg on one or two lengthy M1 restricted speed stints. Having no dpf is a big plus in my book, less expense and less to go wrong. As said earlier it only gets dumped out on regen cycle - hardly a green measures. Itching for a remap now....!

I'm not being negative about the remap by the way, the car is significantly more powerful with it and it has prolonged the life of the car with me, I'm just saying it isn't necessarily true that all remapped cars benefit in terms of mpg.

I will more than likely get the exhaust sensor replaced as I too suspect it could be having more of an effect on the mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom