CLS front sidelight bulbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

effbee584

Car
Jag XF 3.0S and 10 yr old Micra 1.2 auto with Air Con.
Has anyone changed, or tried to change a front side light bulb on a W219 CLS. I tried but could not get close.
It seems either a trip to a dealer would be required or removal of whole headlamp unit (bumper off I think)
Thanks

definitely not a bumper off job .. my mechanic did it in about 2 minutes for each side

C240Sport97 - my mechanic did it in about 2 minutes for each side[/QUOTE said:
That's my point, your mechanic did it -not you - a trip to a dealer/garage required.
They are deeply recessed and I cannot reach them, even though I have small hands and was an aircraft engineer, used to changing and working on many components in small confined spaces. There is obviously a way to get a hand in, that I cannot do.
My reference to bumper removal is because I think that's required to remove a headlamp unit - could be wrong, but its still not easy.

That's my point, your mechanic did it -not you - a trip to a dealer/garage required.

I don't get the point of this. If a mechanic can do it without any problem, and without special tools, then so can you.

deleted

Last edited:
I've replaced mine with LED's, wasn't too difficult. Of course I have hands that bend at multiple angles

(just kidding!)

If it's anything like on the R171 SLK, the easiest way is to unclip the wheelarch liner and come up from under the wing (ohh, err, missus!)

If a mechanic can do it without any problem, and without special tools, then so can you.

That's just the point, I tried twice to get to them but couldn't, maybe I'm missing something, so will have another look tomorrow.

Don't like to admit defeat on what should be a simple job!!

Last edited:
Folks, please ignore the misinformation in the owners handbook about removal of the sidelight bulb.

IT DOES NOT TURN ANTI-CLOCKWISE, IT JUST PULLS OUT !!

After struggling for half an hour turning the bulb holder a degree at a time and cutting my fingers to shreds I asked my 12 year old son to 'do the chimney sweeping' with his little hands but no success!

I finally called MB Milton Keynes and was told to try pulling it which does work!

Just thought I'd pass that on to anyone else who was like me searching for a clue about how to get those pesky things out!

Folks, please ignore the misinformation in the owners handbook about removal of the sidelight bulb.

IT DOES NOT TURN ANTI-CLOCKWISE, IT JUST PULLS OUT !!

After struggling for half an hour turning the bulb holder a degree at a time and cutting my fingers to shreds I asked my 12 year old son to 'do the chimney sweeping' with his little hands but no success!

I finally called MB Milton Keynes and was told to try pulling it which does work!

Just thought I'd pass that on to anyone else who was like me searching for a clue about how to get those pesky things out!
Ha ha, that's exactly what I found, the skin between my fingers got shredded & I gave up. When you know to remove the main beam bulb in it's holder for better access & the sidelight bulb holder just pulls out it's then a 2 minute job ;) 👍

its easily done (with few cuts and some swearing) I even changed my main bulbs (which are much tougher than side lights with a bit of luck.

no need for bumper/light off

Also replaced mine when the previous owners LED bulbs failed. No issue, just fiddly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom