CLS Grand Edition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chattonmill

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E55 AMG
Just considering changing the E55 for a CLS Grand edition, I have come across one with pretty much all the toys including Airmatic for £35990 on a 60 plate with 6000 miles on. A dealer demonstrator.
Palladium Silver with Black leather, almost perfect.
Soooo can anyone find one cheaper with equivalent spec?
Also will I find it a massive come down from The E55K?:eek:

Just considering changing the E55 for a CLS Grand edition, I have come across one with pretty much all the toys including Airmatic for £35990 on a 60 plate with 6000 miles on. A dealer demonstrator.

The torque figure will be impressive on the GE but not as high as the E55, however it will be produced lower down the rev range making it more useable.

You probably know this but the GE version produces 265bhp, not the 231bhp of the standard car.

Airmatic won't give you a silky smooth ride, but on Comfort it's very good considering the tyre size/profile the CLS will have.

Also, stating the obvious, you'll see less of the pumps :eek:

I'd have a CLS at the drop of a hat if I didn't need an estate.

I had a E320cdi before, so am fairly well versed, but the 350cdi V6 I have not experienced yet.
2.5 yrs of warranty is tempting and the CLS with the AMG Body kit does look good, am I being stupid though?

I had a E320cdi before, so am fairly well versed, but the 350cdi V6 I have not experienced yet.
2.5 yrs of warranty is tempting and the CLS with the AMG Body kit does look good, am I being stupid though?

If you previous E320CDI was an IL6 it will have had 204bhp and 500Nm torque.

The V6 GE will have 60 bhp more and around 580ish Nm torque, so the difference (to the IL6) will be marked - however, you'll be comparing to E55 power - 'kin ell :eek:

I think that there are few cars with the presence of a CLS, even more so with an AMG kitted one.

Additionally, a newer car will save you a packet in maintenance as the E55 gets older.

Still can't tell you what to do though cus I love E55's too.

Last edited:
If you previous E320CDI was an IL6 it will have had 204bhp and 500Nm torque.

The V6 GE will have 60 bhp more and around 580ish Nm torque, so the difference (to the IL6) will be marked - however, you'll be comparing to E55 power - 'kin ell :eek:

It was the IL6, but comparing to the E55...therein lies the issue:crazy:

do it properly and get a CLS55 ..

yes, a diesel has great torque but over a very short rev range.

it will not handle or feel like an AMG

you will want another AMG .. there is no substitute.

I sold my CLK55, and after 2 years, just "had" to buy another AMG :)

Last edited:
do it properly and get a CLS55 ..

yes, a diesel has great torque but over a very short rev range.

it will not handle or feel like an AMG

you will want another AMG .. there is no subsitute.

I sold my CLK55, and after 2 years, just "had" to buy another AMG :)

I think you've hit the nail on the head :thumb:

I think you'd be mad to swap for an outgoing model now, unless you can afford the hit, I reckon that will loose £10-15k over the next 12-18 months.
As soon as there are some new shape CLS350cdi's up used at £35-40k that will be so unwanted its untrue, it is just that type of car.

Thing is I could get a CLS55 or 63, but, I wouldn't change mine for one, it just doen't make sense! Different frock and all that!
The main thinking is that My Chalet is around 1000 miles away, gets bloody expensive in a 55!

I think you'd be mad to swap for an outgoing model now, unless you can afford the hit, I reckon that will loose £10-15k over the next 12-18 months.
As soon as there are some new shape CLS350cdi's up used at £35-40k that will be so unwanted its untrue, it is just that type of car.

The new one just hasn't grown on me, maybe it will, who knows:dk:
I see where you are coming from though.:thumb:

The main thinking is that My Chalet is around 1000 miles away, gets bloody expensive in a 55!

Why not look at an E320 CDI then as a workhorse and keep the E55 as a toy ?

That way you can get the best of both worlds.

Thing is I could get a CLS55 or 63, but, I wouldn't change mine for one, it just doen't make sense! Different frock and all that!

unless you drive to the chalet every weekend, the increased fuel cost will be much much less than the increased depreciation

I suspect that this is a question that you alone can answer.:eek:
I very nearly got a Grand Edition, but with my sensible head on, found a 3 month old 320 CLS with all the toys I wanted for a great deal less. Just put the Brabus engine upgrade on it.;)
It's never going to go like a 55, but in the real world the low down grunt makes it plenty quick enough and then there's the fact that you can get 55 mpg (if you try hard!)
If I want to go any quicker I take the bike.....0-60 in under 3 secs and it dosen't recognise traffic.....

I think that I may just stick, the 55 is great, why change?
The Missus will be dissapointed, but hey ho she'll get over it!(Perhaps:eek:)
Thanks Guys!

The Missus will be dissapointed, but hey ho she'll get over it!(Perhaps:eek:)

images

:thumb:

What does the 55 get on a run? I drive to Annecy and in my old ML it would do 28mpg (3.7 petrol) current E320cdi I can get over 40mpg.

With all the camera and price of fuel I guess your lucky to have had the 55 even if you do swap, in the real world the cdi will cruise at 80 all day long and both cars probably limited to 155.

However depreciation on the Cls will be huge, also work out the difference between what the 55 does and the Cls and over a year it's probably not a huge difference? The 55 is probably only losing £3k a year? The Cls will probably lose the cost of the 55 in a year.

Having been a passenger in my old bosses E55 I really wouldn't know what to do....if i wasn't put off by the service / mpg I would have one tomorrow :)

I have to agree, once the honeymoon period is over you will wonder WTF you have done.

As nice as my E320cdi is it never feels special in a way my M3's have etc. It is a nice luxury car and that is it.

On a run I am lucky to get 23 mpg, the problem lies with the amount of power available and the exhaust tone when the loud pedal is tickled:eek:
I have decided that I will carry on running the 55 until it gets to a point where I can justify buying a new car and keeping the AMG.......another 7-8 months should do it:devil:

Save up a bit, and I think the best replacement for your current W211 E55 Estate will be this...Don't even try to argue :D

2010-mercedesbenz-e-63-amg-estate12.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom