CLS - I spy a fraying poly belt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk208

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS
Just checking the tyre pressures and engine oil before a little road trip to the Lake District this weekend and I noticed the front 15% or so of the poly belt is frayed.

It is frayed evenly the whole length of the belt - the side that's nearest to you when looking at it with the bonnet open.

No other symptoms, apart from an occasional burning rubber stylie smell after some journeys which has been present for a few months.

What do the panel think about doing 300 miles or so before getting it changed? Would there be any consequences of belt failure (apart from getting stranded of course).

The belt didn't show up on ESS as being due for renewal at the recent 50k service and dealer didn't mention anything.

Personally I'd change the belt before embarking on a 300 mile trip, especially if you've already noticed a burning rubber smell in the past.

I, not being au-fait with the CLS350 engine, couldn't accurately comment on what that belt runs, but if it's exposed, it'll more than likely run the power steering pump, the water pump, the alternator and the air conditioning pump, so failure could mean loss of all these, meaning heavy steering, overheat, no power generation and not so importantly, no air conditioning.

To be safe, have it replaced would be the best advice.

Don't know why you are asking,there's imminent failure ahead.

DEFINATELY get it replaced , seen this kind of thing before on other cars & due to the speed this belt rotates at it can cause damage to other components , so why risk it ??....... Will save you money in the long run !

Mark

The question is why is it fraying? Most likely either the water pump or idler roller bearings are on their way resulting in excess play .

When the belt is off ask the garage to check each and every pulley for play and smooth operation.

The question is why is it fraying? Most likely either the water pump or idler roller bearings are on their way resulting in excess play .

When the belt is off ask the garage to check each and every pulley for play and smooth operation.

Could be just age and lack of use? It has done 50,000 miles, unless the service schedule calls for it to be replaced at a specified interval (miles or age) like cam belts.

6.5 years and 55k miles. Guess I would have expected it to have lasted longer.

Yikes, wouldn't be good if there was also a water pump. Are these the super pricey water cooled ones?

Poly V belts realistically have an operating life of around 5 years but more realistically 3 years, as already stated it will be one of the pulleys that has worn that is causing it to fray

6.5 years and 55k miles. Guess I would have expected it to have lasted longer.

Yikes, wouldn't be good if there was also a water pump. Are these the super pricey water cooled ones?

It must be approaching the 6.5 years isn't it, and it's getting near the 55,000 miles?

It surprises me that when it was in for a service it wasn't done at the 50,000 mile point.

I can't specifically comment on your type of water pump, not knowing the engine, surely that would be a worst case senario in any case.

So had a closer inspection of the belt this am without the hindrance of beer goggles.

As well as being frayed there are a number of nicks along it. I dont think it has long left. It was also chirping. I guess the next stage would be tweeting.

Called up a friendly local independent and luckily they could fit me in today. They have just diagnosed the tensioner as being shot.

Parts on their way and hopefully fitted in the next hour or so.

Good catch forum people!

Last edited:
V12 said:
A water cooled, water pump...ummm, yeah! :D

Hehe. Yes I think I was multitasking with a beer and the England game whilst typing this. Must have been thinking about alternators.

Definitely change it. When you lose the assistance from the pump, the steering becomes nearly immoveable.

Changed. £270 worse off but better than being stranded.

£270? What did they change?!

Inv says
Belt tightner £86
Belt £30
Then labour and vat

Fair enough if they changed the tensioner as well, provided a) it needed changing and b) they actually did change it for a new one. That's still £130 in labour, which seems high.

I did mine for £14.50: belt from ECP with the forum discount, DIY fix in under 3 minutes.

Of course:

[youtube]BQhfcdQf1QA[/youtube]

They did show me the tensioner was buggered.

Yes, next time I will have to explore DIY options. Just didn't have time on this occasion.

It's a shame as the next job on the list is drivers window regulator which is not a very DIY friendly job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom