CLS Intermittent Wipe Intermittent Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andreas_t

Car
GT C
Hello All. - I have seen some posts relating to this topic, but none of them for the CLS, so I thought I'd ask the dumb question.

Car is CLS 06 MY, with rain sensing wipers. Looks like original windscreen - but not sure as I bought car 2nd hand. Car is currently under extended warranty by MB.

Problem manifests itself intermittently - usually after about 10 to 20 minutes of the wipers running on 'intermittent'. They just cut out. The 'push to wipe', 'windscreen wash' and settings II (normal speed) and III (high speed) stop responding. I have to 'switch off' and restart and it works OK for another 10 or 15 mins and then repeats.

I took it to the dealers - they found no faults on STAR. So it is going again for 3 days later this week to let them test it (at leisure) more extensively.

My feeling is that it is either the 'wiper stalk / switch' or a relay somewhere. Other posts have indicated that, frequently, the 'N10' relay malfunctions and causes this problem - amongst other things.

Questions are:
1. Has anyone else had the wiper issue on a CLS
2. Does anyone know if this 'N10' relay is valid for the CLS
3. Am I right in assuming that STAR won't show faults if either the stalk switch or the relay are faulty

Any answers/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I have had two CLS's and never had this fault. The system is the same as most modern MBs. Windscreen problems would not affect the wipers working, only not coming on early enough when it is drizzling.

I would let the dealer sort it as Intermittent electrical faults are a bugger to find especially on a modern car. If you tinker with it yourself you could spend money unnecessarily and possibly put on further faults.

Turns out it was the rain sensor in the windscreen. Took 3 days to diagnose, but we got there in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom