CLS major part costs

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by david cave, Sep 24, 2013.

1. david cave

david cave New Member

Car:
    CLS320Cdi
    Hi,

I own a 2009 CLS 320 Cdi which I have had from new with full MB service history, and 46000 miles on the clock.
    I am about to retire (at the end of this week) and had previously asked the ‘Honest John’ web site if I should change the CLS for another car being conscious of potential high running costs/replacement parts etc.. Interestingly the response was to keep the CLS and perhaps take out after care warranty!
    During the last service (August – major service) MB advised that the rear disc were slightly corroded so I am planning to have these replaced towards the end of this year when I replace the rear tyres.
    I would welcome some views on what large replacement costs (other than tyres/brake shoes etc.)I could expect over the next 2 – 3 years, probably taking overall mileage up to 70,000 to 80,000. My biggest concern would be the exhaust looks to be around £1000 to replace, has anyone any idea how long the exhaust is likely to last? I do about 12000 miles per year with some long journeys to visit my family, e.g. 250 and 600 mile round trips.

Looking forward to your responses

David

2. Borys

Borys Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2005 cl500
    Had a 2008 cls with similar mileage

Only think I would be concern with is glow plugs (18£ each from MB), glow plug relay (130£ from MB) - would keep an eye on the dash,and would change gear box oil round 130£ the whole kit with oil from MB,seals on turbo intake and outlet pipes (25£ from MB). Other then that cars are bullet proof
    Only expensive thing I heard is aux fan wobbly - 700£ to replace and actuator plates in the gear box - 600£ to repair or 1600£ from MB to change
    Otherwise happy motoring

1 person likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    david cave

david cave New Member

Car:
    CLS320Cdi
    Thanks for your input, very helpful

David

4. joecash

joecash Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S320 CDI
    keep it - better the car you know - you can cut down the costs a lot by using the services of a good indy and properly refurb'd parts where appropriate.
    both my son's have mercs that are just under 10 years old on the original exhausts

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
Tags: