CLS Misting up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

soley

Car
cls 320 cdi
I have been the proud owner of a 2007 cls 320 fro 6 weeks now,i love the car but cannot stop the windows steaming up unless i leave the aircon on ,the dealer said its coz the windows are high:confused: anyone with the same problem or does it need to go into mb,by the way its 2 zone

Why are you switching the air con off?
Mine is on permanent, it is climate control so let it do its job and leave it on.

Russ

In this wet weather many cars steam up when the aircon is not on. My car usually does not steam up, but in this excessively wet weather it does seem to.

Welcome to the forum soley!

Is the car's interior completely dry?

Sometimes if water is settling somewhere it condenses onto the screen.

Also... are the screen(s) clean? I find (cos I smoke) that the smoky film coats the screen and traps moisture.

try driving with the windows open and a/c off for about 10 minutes

I have been the proud owner of a 2007 cls 320 fro 6 weeks now,i love the car but cannot stop the windows steaming up unless i leave the aircon on ,the dealer said its coz the windows are high:confused: anyone with the same problem or does it need to go into mb,by the way its 2 zone

Don't turn off the a/c!

Last edited:
there is no wet inside,had that before on another car,the mb dealer also said the c250 he had also did the same.
don't mind leaving the aircon on or opening the window just thought it odd on a car £45,000 new

Wifes 203 and my 210 are the same especially now the damp is here, neither car has any water leaks.

203 is worse than the 210 for some reason.

Mine was steaming up quite badly for the past few weeks until i twigged the a/con was inop traced to broken wire now repaired and its back in business again.

Lynall

Sounds likely that you have a film of dirt on the inside glass that is compounding the lack of de-humidified air blowing onto the glass when you switch the AC compressor off, as per Baron_Samedi's suggestion.

Get yourself a good glass polish product (AG Glass cleaner, Carlack or such like), warm up the interior of the car and then thoroughly clean all the interior glass with a good cotton cloth ensuring that you remove all traces of the cleaner with a dry paper towel.

This should improve matters. If you are still experiencing misting issues with the AC off, try applying an anti-fog product to the glass, available from any good high street store.

Regards
Antony

If you are still experiencing misting issues with the AC off, try applying an anti-fog product to the glass, available from any good high street store.

I can't believe anyone would go to so much trouble when all you have to do is leave the climate control switched on in the first place, the only cars I've ever been in that steam up have one thing in common, the owners switch off the AC!

Russ

will try that antjc thanks

I've used anti fogging products in the past, they can leave a film over the glass and appear to smear the screen in certain conditions, I would not recommend them at all.

Russ

just out of interest will the air-con affect the mpg on the cls 320

Yes probably make 1 mpg difference, thats all it seems to do to mine anyway.

I remember an old taxi driver cleaning his glass with glass cleaner and screwed up newspaper he reckoned this was the best and naturally the cheapest way!

Lynall

Agreed that there is no substitute for de-humidified air, but don't forget that most AC compressors will not engage when the external ambient temperature falls below +5c.

Application of any anti-fog or screen water beading products is all down to the amount of time and care you take in thoroughly cleaning the glass surface and the applying the correct amount of product after.

Antony

i see i am among knowledgeable people

In both my W203 and wifey's new Honda Jazz it's been impossible to turn the a/c for the last few weeks.

There is something curious about the Merc system in that you can turn it off and the windows stay clear but then suddenly mist up a few mins later.

A comment in another thread from an indie indicated that on a car he was working on the a/c compressor clutch stayed partially engaged when the a/c is turned off. The percentage of engagement can be changed using Star.

If this is the standard way the system works it would certainly explain what's happening in my car. On Mrs R's Jazz, turn the a/c off and the car just instantly steams up.

Agreed that there is no substitute for de-humidified air, but don't forget that most AC compressors will not engage when the external ambient temperature falls below +5c.

Application of any anti-fog or screen water beading products is all down to the amount of time and care you take in thoroughly cleaning the glass surface and the applying the correct amount of product after.

Antony

Except when one selects de-mist?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom