CLS seat problem HELP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guzquaff

Car
Cls
Hi All
This is my first forum post but I have found this site to be a great source of info over the years for some minor faults and fixes.
I have had my 2008 CLS 320 CDi (UK registered) for over 8 years now and it has been a great car with very few problems over that time having covered 90k miles hardly missing a beat.
I have just brought it back to glory with a full wheel refurb and x4 new tyres and it looks mint
Unfortunately I have a problem with my driver's side (RHD) seat. All the buttons work and drive the motors but their is a fault with the forward and backwards control.
The seat is currently stuck in the furthest back position (I am tall) and when I try and move it forward with the switch then the motor whirs but only drives the the right hand side track. This makes the seat twist to the left and inwards rather than move the seat forwards?
Having researched on YouTube I though something might be trapped in the tracks triggering a safety feature but I can't see anything and because the seat is right at the back I have used a paintbrush and vacuum cleaner to get every bit out, but there doesn't seem to be anything caught.
I though it might help if I removed the seat to get a good look but I can only get the front bolts out as I can't get access the rear ones to check it thoroughly due to its position, the back of the seat covers the rear bolts.
Any suggestions as to what might be the problem? And how I can go about fixing it?
Thank You
Garry

I think you really need to remove the seat but I appreciate the difficulty in doing that. That is certainly a tricky one. Could you possibly remove the rear seat base to help with access?

First of all welcome to the forum Garry, they're a good bunch on here.

I don't know if the Merc seats are the same or similar to the Rover ones I worked on but here goes and it may be worth a look.

With the Rover 75 electric seats the drive comes out of each end of the motor which is connected to each side rail via a flexible drive not unlike the old speedo cable we used to get on older cars. this drive then connects to a reduction gear drive within the seat slider mechanism.

You say your seat is "attempting" to operate on one side only which would indicate their is something wrong with the drive to the other side.
Look under the seat for the drive motor, it may be mounted centrally with a flex drive to each runner and see if the offending side has become disconnected or damaged.

As above ^^^. One single motor usually drives the seat forward/backward. Have you emptied the vacuum cleaner you used yet ?

If not , empty it out and search the detritus for a small square profile flex drive piece about 4mm x 20/30 mm , it might be coated in black felt like soft material (stops it rattling) this is the alignment connector that fits in the drive shaft that links the two rails to the motor.

This is how most manufacturers do it, but I am not sure how the connector could come out without something else being broken. Your seats might have been made by a company called LEAR . They do not do spare parts. It's a tricky one and as BlackC55 says the seat will have to come out one way or another :(

Thanks guys (or maybe girls)
I will try and remove the rear seat base to aid access (it's a bugg#r to get to) and see if I can see any missing bits underneath between the motor and th rails, but it is a really tight space to access...😫
Sadly vacuum emptied a while back .....
Thanks for your suggestions - keep 'em coming
G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom