CLS suspension issues, looking for expert advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

B-Buster

Car
07 CLS 350 CGI
Good day all,

After being a lurker for some time and reading lots of info regarding the pull to the left / right, I am hoping for some feedback on the following matter as I cannot get this solved after spending €€€€'s without getting the final result.

My CLS 350 CGI (219) has given me a big headache regarding its handling. I bought the car 5 months ago and during the test drive I noticed the usual squeaks from a bad ball joint and the behaviour of what appeared to me as play on the middle arms. After dealing with all of those with my W211, didn't appear to be a big deal.

Bought the car and got at it. After a better inspection I think the previous owner used his rims as parking sensors given the fact that both rims and rim protection of the tires was in a very bad condition. Didn't like the wheels so did not pay enough attention to this at the dealer.

However several parts turned out to be in need of replacement. Did a big overhaul at the front meaning all arms, ball joints and shocks were replaced. Also the steering rack was noisy so I also swapped that for a used rack (known to be a good one). Then before alligntment was done I ordered the camber bolts knowing this did a lot for the previous W211.

After all this, the car was pulling to the right quite a bit, like when changing lanes I could let go of the steering wheel and it would go into the right lane fairly quick.

Had allignment done at the MB dealer and two independent allignment shops. The last one really tried and came to the conclusion my right wheel was, even with the camber bolt at it's best setting, no lower than -2.00 degrees of camber value, where the left wheel was at -1.30.

I then decided to get the K-MAC bushings which allow a lot more room for correction. After installing, both sides can be set to -1.25 camber. Caster settings were also adjusted and are perfectly within spec.

Now as soon as I am driving highway speeds, I feel the car moving around its front axle. It's like the front wheels are keeping their line but the rest of the car is moving. When I step in the gas, I feel the rear of the car pushing to the right, also the steering wheel is forced to the right.

Had a check on the rear suspension, but I cannot find any movement or play there.

Dealer can't find anything wrong either. Both allignment shops think it cannot be fixed and advise to sell the car.

Some points to add:

- No known damage / accidents
- Running on 19" original AMG's with Pirelli Zero tires, symptoms are the same with my 18" winter tyres (Michelin)
- Steering angle sensor was changed and calibrated with STAR

I feel like I have tried everything I can in order to find the culprint, but came to a dead end now. Does anyone has experience with a similar problem? Input would be highly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom