CLS versus E Class Coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wivenhoe

Car
Was E350e - awaiting BMW 530e
I have just changed my E Class 350CDI AMG Sport Coupe for a new CLS 350CDI AMG Sport. I would appreciate your thoughts on which you would prefer ?

Coupe

-unless one requires 5 doors, in which case CLS...

They are off different platforms.

Coupe off C Class

CLS off E Class.

I'd expect the CLS to be better equipped and more refined.

CLS for me.

Cls.

CLS - much the better bet.

I have just changed my E Class 350CDI AMG Sport Coupe for a new CLS 350CDI AMG Sport. I would appreciate your thoughts on which you would prefer ?

What are your thoughts...you're the one who's made the swap?

I find them to be totally different cars despite both being Coupe's. The CLS is much more refined but I think it still looks a coupe. I was very happy with my E Class Coupe but the dealer made the CLS offer too good to miss. I got a fair price for the E Class (£26k) and £12k+ off the CLS - I realise the CLS will be facelifted soon but thought £12k discount would more than cover the extra loss in residual.

Despite being an AMG Sport (not a real AMG then) the CLS is far more comfortable on our unforgiving roads - I found the E Class AMG Sport to be jarring over the pot holes. I won't throw the CLS about as much as the E Class so won't miss the tighter suspension.

Out of interest and rather predictably, younger friends seem to prefer the E Class and us wrinkley's the CLS.

One thing I will not miss is the oversize doors on the E Class - getting in and out at the station was a real challenge and despite the CLS being 100mm wider it is far easier with the 4 doors.

but they are so different & one cannot really say that the CLS is a coupe with 5 doors. coupe style maybe. its a huge barge!
yes, the E coupe has the C class platform, but it is built to the E class spec, so comparable to E classes, rather than Cs.
The CLS is arguably a little above an e class so may be slightly more refined, but not quite got the handling of the smaller car.
Ultimately they are for different jobs: the e is a coupe; the CLS is a saloon but with a bit more style.

on a tangent; the CLS brake is based on E estate, & whilst more stylish(?) it is far less versatile & spacious than the E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom