CLS W218 350 CDI Character charms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nmather83

Car
Mercedes CLS 350CDI AMG Sport 2013 (W218)
Hi All,

New to this so apologies. Just bought myself a 2013 CLS 350 CDI and just want a bit of advice if I am doing the right or wrong things on the following.

I have a cruise control issue (only in the mornings) when I first drive the car. I get 3 dashes when I try to engage it. Once car warmed up and its mid day it works. Is this Tyre pressures? The tyres on the front are budget and I am thinking about replacing all tyres as they are not far off due anyways. Look at Goodyear F1 Eagle tyres front an rear.

Engine warning light comes on - Could this be the diesel cap. Normally comes on once the car is at 1/4 of diesel left in. Soon as I fill it it knocks the light off?

Gearbox - Fairly clunky on a cold start when moving into D and R. Not everytime just sometimes. Once on the road gears are silky smooth though. - Its going in for a gearbox flush and service Thursday.

Love the car its superb just checking to make sure if I am on the right track with what I have mentioned.

Any Advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Nick

Hi,

1) Are you trying to apply the cruise control under 20mph? It won't work on my W212 E350. I can't see the tyre pressure affecting this...

2) You will need a CarSoft MBII computer / STAR in order to find this out, otherwise you're just guiessing

3) Can be normal when cold, although gearbox service history and how new the gearbox and engine mounts are make a difference here.

Cheers,

Ed

Cheers Ed,

The cruise wont engage at 70mph either.

I'll get the mounts checked when it goes in for its service to see if its needing done.

I've bought a little error code reader but didnt catch it in time before it went off :)

Ah, if it doesn't work at 70, then something seems off. To state the obvious, you're familiar with the speed limiter/cruise control function stalk? They can be a bit confusing at first.

If it doesn't work, there's usually an error on the dash, about 'so and so is inoperable'... generally down to wheel speed sensors, things like that.

If you have an error code reader, it should be able to see 'historic'/stored errors, too?

funny story on that. I accidently engaged the speed limiter once coming off a round about at 20mph. Thought the car had gone into limp mode. Had to pull over and then realised I had that function too. I though the button was the off for the cruise but it goes between the two.

I might just fire up the reader tonight and see if it has anything stored. I have no function not available just the 3 dashes and thats all.

Hi all just thought I would update on the above. So the Clunky into D and R in the morning I think I have figured out and I think it is also what has been effecting the cruise control too. When I star the car cold the green e on my dashboard takes a while to load up. If I wait for it to show the movement into D and R is nice and smooth and once up to speed the cruise works. If I move into D or R before the green e shows I get the clunk and no cruise control.

Had a bit fiddle in and out of D R N and boom engine light came on. U0101 code on the reader.

This is my thoughts..... I reckon it could be my battery starting to go. Reason I think that is could the car on initial cold start not be pulling enough volts through to make everything a little sluggish? Once the car is up and running its fine. Lovely smooth gear changes.

Battery is 7 years old so I wanted to replace anyways. Wish me luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom