CLS (W219) 320 AirMatic Suspension Dropped?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JM04ROE

Car
CLS 320
Hello,

Found myself 60 miles away from home yesterday when my CLS 320 suspension completely dropped on the rear of the vehicle (Photo's below).

No warnings/error's on the dashboard, button in centre console shows icon of car and up arrow. To rise the car when pressed displays "Vehicle rising" with no effect.

Obviously looking to diagnose this, has anyone experienced similar?

Thanks in advance,

20itp2u.jpg

s450fq.jpg

Must be faulty/damaged air suspension bags.
It is a bit strange both simultaneously to fail
It did happened to me before, but mine was just one side. Refurbished bag was not properly seated and the new rubber just sliced when passing over a bump on the road.

Last edited:
Hi,
Happened to me front driver's side strut went, I was on a deserted road on a cold night so left the engine running so I could have the heater on, this just let the suspension air pump run and it burned itself out.
So avoid switching ignition on.

Must be faulty/damaged air suspension bags.
It is a bit strange both simultaneously to fail
It did happened to me before, but mine was just one side. Refurbished bag was not properly seated and the new rubber just sliced when passing over a bump on the road.

Thank you for your response, I had an issue with the car not settling years ago when locking, this was resolved as a wiring fault by MB dealer.

But nothing else, rear of vehicle just seemed to bottom out at the same time, at which point it was too low to be driveable.

Hi,
Happened to me front driver's side strut went, I was on a deserted road on a cold night so left the engine running so I could have the heater on, this just let the suspension air pump run and it burned itself out.
So avoid switching ignition on.

I've had the ignition on and off multiple times, so no doubt I will have caused the same thing.

How much was your strut repair if you don't mind me asking?

If it's dropped both sides on rear , have you checked the level sensor arm ? There is one on the rear , two on the front. If this has dislodged or is missing completed might explain the car completely slamming at the rear ?

The black link is the rear in this URL - yes it's a lowering link but you now know roughly what your looking for

2005-10 MERCEDES BENZ CLS CLASS ADJUSTABLE LOWERING LINKS SUSPENSION KIT W219 v2 | eBay

Thank you for your response, I had an issue with the car not settling years ago when locking, this was resolved as a wiring fault by MB dealer.

But nothing else, rear of vehicle just seemed to bottom out at the same time, at which point it was too low to be driveable.

I've had the ignition on and off multiple times, so no doubt I will have caused the same thing.

How much was your strut repair if you don't mind me asking?

For a new front strut and new pump and relay fitted, £1200, do bare in mind your replacement strut could be cheaper as its not an AMG.

If it's dropped both sides on rear , have you checked the level sensor arm ? There is one on the rear , two on the front. If this has dislodged or is missing completed might explain the car completely slamming at the rear ?

The black link is the rear in this URL - yes it's a lowering link but you now know roughly what your looking for

2005-10 MERCEDES BENZ CLS CLASS ADJUSTABLE LOWERING LINKS SUSPENSION KIT W219 v2 | eBay

Thanks for that mate, much appreciated, I'll have a look asap. I'm more concerned the car hasn't reported any errors/warnings on the dashboard throughout.

I'd expect the messages below as others have reported.
AIRMATIC VISIT WORKSHOP!
AIRMATIC – STOP, CAR TOO LOW

Lets hope it's a simple fix as I've suggested

The level sensor arm is. About fiddly to
Get to on the rear and the sensor itself is hidden behind a metal shield but good luck

Where is your car located ?

Lets hope it's a simple fix as I've suggested

The level sensor arm is. About fiddly to
Get to on the rear and the sensor itself is hidden behind a metal shield but good luck

Where is your car located ?

Thank you, my local garage have taken a look and said it's not something they can diagnose/repair. Awaiting some codes of what their scanner has logged.

Scenario was driving along and the next minute the car slammed on the rear completely. I'd of thought if the level sensor arm was missing/damaged a fault would have appeared on the dash?

Check both level sensors on the front strut tower housing - one is throwing up a code

Thank you, which specific code is this?

The MB Star diagnosis codes are one of these three for the level sensors.

C1132 AIRmatic: fault in component B22/8 (level sensor)
C1133 AIRmatic: fault in component B22/9 (level sensor)
C1135 AIRmatic: fault in component B22/3 (level sensor)

For the airmatic pressure sensor the code is

C1144 AIRmatic: fault in component B7 (pressure sensor)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom