CLS w219 auto boot closer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gbrowncls55

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS500 4.7TT 2012,, SL350 09, 996 cab, all current. Gone :CLS 55 E500 W211, 2x M5s and too many 911s
The auto boot closer on my cls55 has stopped or partially stopped on a random basis (but more likely after a few days of no driving).
Today it wasnt working and now is.
I had the problem a year or so ago and discovered some broken wires in the loom where they go around the hinge on the nearside. I expect its the same thing again although the symptoms as yet are not quite as distinct as before.
My question is; Does anybody know if the auto closing system is simply an electric moter that lowers the lid or is it linked to some sort of hydraulic system. I ask this for two reasons; the first is that apart from the initial buzzing noise when you press close there seems to be no electric motor noise (may just be vey quiet), Secondly if it is only electric can somebody tell me what the little plastic tank with fluid in it is sitting just ahead of the rear light. What is it for and what sort of fluid does in take Thanks.

Boot closer is electric and IIRC the plastic tank is for the Dynamic seats.

Ah ok thanks. I thought the seats were air operated rather than fluid, but could be wrong.

another common issue on the auto boot is the broken wires can short the controller. mb produced a updated part for it.... its a black electronic unit in the boot, try a google search for what it looks like.

Ah ok thanks. I thought the seats were air operated rather than fluid, but could be wrong.
Seats are pneumatic, think you're seeing the air separator, should discharge water via a drain tube?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom