CLS w219 centre console removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Quetzalcoatl

Car
CLS55 AMG
Hi folks

I'd be grateful if anyone could run through how to remove the centre console in a CLS or possibly link to a good guide for me.

Mechanism on the little cubby hole where you can fit a drinks holder is broken. I've sourced a replacement and would like to fit it but don't really want to just start unscrewing things to figure it out!

Cheers

Hi folks

I'd be grateful if anyone could run through how to remove the centre console in a CLS or possibly link to a good guide for me.

Mechanism on the little cubby hole where you can fit a drinks holder is broken. I've sourced a replacement and would like to fit it but don't really want to just start unscrewing things to figure it out!

Cheers

May I ask where the replacement was from? My lid is temperamental on that so I would like to replace

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yeah, but how do you remove the cover mechanism itself? Mine has forgotten how to go back to closed.

Yeah, but how do you remove the cover mechanism itself? Mine has forgotten how to go back to closed.

I got the entire unit on ebay from a breaker, took a couple of months to find...... I haven't figured out how to remove the cover on it's own yet but I will update when I've worked it out.
The leather on the one from the breakers is a bit worn so I'm going to have to put the existing cover on the replacement console.

I got the entire unit on ebay from a breaker, took a couple of months to find...... I haven't figured out how to remove the cover on it's own yet but I will update when I've worked it out.
The leather on the one from the breakers is a bit worn so I'm going to have to put the existing cover on the replacement console.

Thanks. I think there are bolts underneath the gearstick surround that release this, but can't find any instructions to confirm (probably as I have no idea what this "bin" is properly called!)

Fr
Thanks. I think there are bolts underneath the gearstick surround that release this, but can't find any instructions to confirm (probably as I have no idea what this "bin" is properly called!)

From looking at the one I got from the breakers there is a single bolt or torx screw, which is located low down on the console.

I'll have a go at the weekend and post pics and info for you if it all goes to plan.

Surprised at the shoddy build quality of this unit tbh. So plastic and cheap compared to other aspects of the car, no wonder it broke.....

Awesome. Good luck!

Finally got round to doing this and it was a pig of a job........ The entire front and rear centre consoles had to come out..... 4 hours later and it's done.:mad:

If you want some details let me know but in hindsight I'd probably have just lived with the thing as is. :confused:

Wowwww! Good job!

I would love details, if convenient. But, I am leaning towards 'not worth the effort'.

Was yours broken completely? Mine works just doesn't spring or lock.

The open/close spring mech on mine had gone so it didn't do anything and was essentially propped up with foam inserts underneath the lid.

I'm no defeatist, having previously stripped and rebuilt a couple of Renaults and done extensive engine work on my Volvo on my drive, but in terms of cost/benefit I'd have to say that unless you are hell bent on perfection and a concours level car, bugger doing this................

Even once all consoles are removed(don't even ask about the lid on the armrest storage area), there are two torx screws which are entirely inaccessible unless a particular piece of trim is removed. A piece not listed or detailed in any guide or manual. As far as I can tell MB never intended for this to be removed once installed, so I have no idea how the breaker removed my replacement console without wrecking something, believe me I spent hours trying various approaches.

In the end I broke the existing unit to access the screws, then drilled out and rethreaded the mounts (plastic) so I could tighten them from below rather than above, without further damage when installing the new unit.

It is a complex job, happy to post links to guides I used but they don't cover everything. Could try to advise on the aspects that aren't mentioned if you're hell bent on it....... but having done it, I'd rather talk it through than type it out!

Taking out the head unit, centre and rear console is a pig of a job for a 30 quid item. I don't doubt that buying a complete console, as MB supply them and having it fitted would be 1k and I'd happily have paid it in hindsight.

Yeah that seems like a lot of work in my case for not much reward.

It would almost be easier to fit a new centre console (the type that had the two cup holder built in to where that unit normally is).

Ok, hellp all.
My ashtray on the center lid, also cupholder, I don't know exactly what it is for, also broke.
But I also need to lift the center rear console to pass some wires.
Does anyone have a guide on this, please?

Thank you

Attachments

• 1637149537209967576008861143684.jpg
    1637149537209967576008861143684.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
Ok, hellp all.
My ashtray on the center lid, also cupholder, I don't know exactly what it is for, also broke.
But I also need to lift the center rear console to pass some wires.
Does anyone have a guide on this, please?

Thank you
Remove the lower seats and you'll see the fixings to remove. Pretty easy tbh.

Remove the lower seats and you'll see the fixings to remove. Pretty easy tbh.
There aren't any.
There are two connecting the middle console to the rear one, another on the center like in the photo.
But then I searched for two screws by the sides, under that black sponge or coverture, like in the cl65 but there are none...

Attachments

• received_4356651371130564.jpeg
    received_4356651371130564.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 3
  • received_597654941572173.jpeg
    received_597654941572173.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 3
Does this help

Attachments

• 2009-09-13_030013_Remove_install_rear_center_console.pdf
    259.5 KB · Views: 16

Users who are viewing this thread