CLS W219 headlight bulb change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

6cyl

Car
CLS320 CDI
I have a 2009 CLS with OE HID. I'd like to change the D2S bulbs. I've taken a look, got the large cap off, but haven't worked out how it's supposed to come out.

Any one offer any hints ? Any online guides ? I've looked at the usual places etc.

Do the headlight housing need to be removed ?

I have a 2009 CLS with OE HID. I'd like to change the D2S bulbs. I've taken a look, got the large cap off, but haven't worked out how it's supposed to come out.

Any one offer any hints ? Any online guides ? I've looked at the usual places etc.

Do the headlight housing need to be removed ?

Which part of London are you in? I'd personally recommend an indie carry out this job.

My dealership changed the lamps in my xenons for me FOC, might be worth an ask?

SW - between Croydon and Weybridge.

Car has been out of the dealer network for years. Doubt they'd do it for free. My experience with them has been less than stella.

In all honesty, it feels strange to take a car to a garage to get the bulbs changed.

Well, I tried it today. About 2 hours ago.
  1. Removed the circular dust cover.
  2. Twisted the rectangular bulb socket.
  3. Found that the bulb had a retainer spring, after putting a phone down there to take a picture.
  4. Bulb came out ok ish. Not a lot of room on the driver's side (UK).
  5. Now the fun part.
  6. So far spent 30 minutes.
  7. Compared the new and old bulb. Not a huge difference, but the new one is a few mm longer and has a clear centre, where the mercury repository is.
  8. I thought I practice on the old bulb. Could I get in back in ? No.
  9. More photos required.
  10. Looked at the bulb holder and tried to visualise how to the thing works.
  11. For reference, the insulated electrode faces down.
  12. Managed to snap both sides of the clips in (sort-of)
  13. Tried to refit the bulb holder and found that the bulb wasn't secured properly.
  14. Spent 2 hours outside, it's cold and my back aches now.
  15. I surrender.
  16. Will give the indy and dealer a call.

First time I've been defeated by a bulb.

I'm sure the headlight needs to be removed, perhaps partially.
Too dark and cold for that now.

Give the guys at Comand.co.uk a call. They are based in Lightwater. They fitted my new headlamps in the CLS

My dealer changed the bulbs in less than 10min. Pretty sure no headlamps were removed!

Well, I tried it today. About 2 hours ago.

• Removed the circular dust cover.
    • Twisted the rectangular bulb socket.
    • Found that the bulb had a retainer spring, after putting a phone down there to take a picture.
    • Bulb came out ok ish. Not a lot of room on the driver's side (UK).
    • Now the fun part.
    • So far spent 30 minutes.
    • Compared the new and old bulb. Not a huge difference, but the new one is a few mm longer and has a clear centre, where the mercury repository is.
    • I thought I practice on the old bulb. Could I get in back in ? No.
    • More photos required.
    • Looked at the bulb holder and tried to visualise how to the thing works.
    • For reference, the insulated electrode faces down.
    • Managed to snap both sides of the clips in (sort-of)
    • Tried to refit the bulb holder and found that the bulb wasn't secured properly.
    • Spent 2 hours outside, it's cold and my back aches now.
    • I surrender.
    • Will give the indy and dealer a call.
First time I've been defeated by a bulb.

I'm sure the headlight needs to be removed, perhaps partially.
Too dark and cold for that now.

Go down to Terry @ Wayne Gates in harrow

Hi,
I can confirm that the headlights do not need to be removed to change the lamps.

Did mine in about 10 mins. Just really fiddly. Make sure the clips are properly secured on the bulb could drop and touch the reflector. The reflector melts and then you loose the fixing. previous owner did that on mine.

Update
Took it to an indy - They couldn't fit it without dropping the bumper and removing the headlights. Bizarrely the igniter failed at the same time. They forgot to connect the sensor and windscreen bottle sensor backup so I had to go back a few days later.

Cost me £220, so £300 including the bulbs. Grrrrr....

£300 smakaroooonis to change a bulb........surely that cant be right! Few weeks ago i changed all my bulbs to osram h7 and i watched the mechanic do it........it was a bit of a dog but nothing of the sort where he contemplated taking anything off eg headlights or bumper. The only thing he did take off was his watch

Update
Took it to an indy - They couldn't fit it without dropping the bumper and removing the headlights. Bizarrely the igniter failed at the same time. They forgot to connect the sensor and windscreen bottle sensor backup so I had to go back a few days later.

Cost me £220, so £300 including the bulbs. Grrrrr....

Hmm which indie was this lol

H7 bulbs are much easier locate by touch, they fall into place a lot easier. I have changed plenty of lightbulbs in all makes of cars. There isn't an D2S igniter to locate for instance. The D2S bulb is a lot harder to get into the right location. The actual clearance behind the headlight unit is minimal. Also the metal spring clip fell off the unit.

I didn't have the time to work out how the bumper comes off. I'd already spent more than 3 hours faffing about with it.

Did mine in about 10 mins. Just really fiddly. Make sure the clips are properly secured on the bulb could drop and touch the reflector. The reflector melts and then you loose the fixing. previous owner did that on mine.

H7 or D2S?

£300 smakaroooonis to change a bulb........surely that cant be right! Few weeks ago i changed all my bulbs to osram h7 and i watched the mechanic do it........it was a bit of a dog but nothing of the sort where he contemplated taking anything off eg headlights or bumper. The only thing he did take off was his watch

H7 are a doddle to change. I can do it blind folded. D2S bulbs are a nightmare, unless you can see the receptacle and bulb at the same time.

Not laughing here.
Well you clearly didn't listen to our advice to use one of the trusted forum indies, Terry Gates is in London as I mentioned, and COMAND UK are just outside

Didn't have time to take it to any here else, the place I took it to where able to attend to it quickly. Taking half a day off to get it sorted wasn't an option.

Didn't have time to take it to any here else, the place I took it to where able to attend to it quickly. Taking half a day off to get it sorted wasn't an option.
Fair enough mate. I guess you payed a premium for that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom