CLS (W219) Mileage/Reliability check-in!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joejoejoe120

Car
2008 Mercedes CLS 350
Recently I am trying to gauge the reliability of the CLS W219. These cars still look so modern and beautiful although it has been more than a decade since the beginning of production. I am wondering how many miles you have had on your cls 320/350/500/550/55/63 and did you face any major issues... I am also wondering if anyone have gone past 100K miles without major issues.

EG.

Model: 2008 CLS350
Bought at: 2012/50k miles
Currently at: 100k miles
Issues: Changed the front bushings and ball joint (creaking suspension). Replaced window regulator. Replaced engine and transmission mount. SBC repaired.

I have a 218 350cdi currently at c125,000 miles of which I have put 100,000 on it and still going strong, and there haven't been any issues.

I would suspect it should easily double that if it's looked after, my plan is to keep it another 2 years at which point it will be around 180,000 which doesn't worry me at all.

The mechanical platform of the CLS is, of course, the E Class.
The shell of the CLS is lower and stiffer but electronics and mechanicals are the same as used in a german taxi to do intergalactic milages.
The frameless window mechs are one of the few CLS specific parts.
I would have no worries doing whatever mileage you feel comfortable with in the car. I regret only doing 40k in mine:eek:

Bought a 2005 E500 in 2010 on 90k. Ran it for 7 years and took it to 150k-ish.

It munched through a few balljoints, a couple of crank sensors and two to three batteries (the latter when it was lightly used).

I had to replace the Airmatic pump, fix the wiring for one of the mirrors and replace a boot lock.

The crank pulley threw a wobbly so I replaced it.

Other that that it was pretty faultless.

Scrubbed up well. too.

Last edited:
The D/S/F Electric window mechanism seems to be a weak point as the window is frameless hence each time you open the door the window opens slightly.
Depending if the other doors are used frequently these will follow suit.
My drivers door failed after 48,000 miles.
I attempted to replace with a cheap cable from ebay like many others here but didn't work for me-there is a lot of tension in the cable.
I ended up buying the Mercedes OEM part which worked perfectly-the most time consuming part was finding all the secret nuts/bolts to undo and realigning the window within its frame.

Bought mine with 58,000 miles on (now on 70,000) with FSH in April and in that time ball joint, steering rack bushings and rear axel bush have gone. I think ive just been unlucky but after spending a fortune on suspension parts for my previous CLS and now spending a small fortune on this one, Im at my wits end as far as CLS suspension goes! (If the alignment its in for on Friday at my local indy dosent sort it out its going!)

I think with regular servicing, as mentioned above re taxis, the engine will go on for ever.

Recently I am trying to gauge the reliability of the CLS W219. These cars still look so modern and beautiful although it has been more than a decade since the beginning of production. I am wondering how many miles you have had on your cls 320/350/500/550/55/63 and did you face any major issues... I am also wondering if anyone have gone past 100K miles without major issues.

EG.

Model: 2008 CLS350
Bought at: 2012/50k miles
Currently at: 100k miles
Issues: Changed the front bushings and ball joint (creaking suspension). Replaced window regulator. Replaced engine and transmission mount. SBC repaired.
I have W219 320 and have done 110k in it so it now has 166k on clock and still batting well I had a port flap motor a window regulator, bushes are a service item on German cars they always have a more refined setup. A brake calliper discs and a serpentine belt and the od Abs sensor and a lambda sensor. Given mine is in top condition I don't have a lot to complain about, its all run of the mill and the car has always got me A 2 B and hopefully I can come back here and drop 200k down next time 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom