CLS W219 Plastic flapping / rattle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTank88

Car
14' C63 Diamond White Coupe
Hi all,

We just bought a 2010 CLS GE which we really like, although there's one thing we need to fix.

There is an obvious rattle that happens when going over bumpy road, seems more prominent when at cruising speed.

I have tried my best to narrow it down where it's coming from and my best guess at this point would be from behind the COMAND system, steering column, front switch pack controls on the center console sort of area. Passenger says it may be coming from behind drivers seat area but I'm not so sure. It seems to be coming from right behind the dash. The noise itself, is quite an obvious plastic flapping kind of sound. Sounds like a large flap or something, and flapping is the best word to describe it.

I thought it may be the CD changer rack flapping about but after putting on 5 CDs it made no difference and it may be coming from behind the changer.

I will definitely be fixing this, but before I start pulling back trim I wanted to ask if anyone is familiar with this. At the moment I have in mind pulling back 3 areas, the driver footwell, the front vents, and all the trim to get behind the COMAND. I'd prefer to make the right choice first time so I don't introduce any other noises by pulling back trim I didn't need to!

Any help/thoughts appreciated.

Check the engine under-tray is securely attached?

Thank you for the reminder! I was going to check this also just in case. If I was a betting man I would say it's coming from inside the car however.

who remembers the squeaky earing advert ?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A classic ad!

I was going to suggest the undertray as well.

Yeah so it was this little metal bracket which wasn't attached to the chassis properly that one of the undertray screws goes into so the whole metal bracket was flapping and making the noise.

No idea how it connects to the chassis so just removed it for time being undertray is still sturdy enough.

is it the small one that sits in at like 45 degrees on the chassis tunnelling .

I couldn't figure out how it should be sitting without having clearer access to the car so I just took it out but it was around the middle of the chassis the bracket itself is like a J shape.

One side has a screw fitting and the other has a couple of hook type fittings that should secure on the chassis somewhere.

argh . yes , im with you .... ive just replaced all the screws and speed clips under my cls ( ebay ) . i need to go to the dealers for the 2 clips i mentioned as one half of my undertrays is hanging majestically also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom