CLS W257 to a CLS W219....Brain VS Heart - Update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmyv28

Car
CLS W257
Following on from my previous thread:

I've done it, i sold my beloved CLS, the brain won the fight. However i could really do with some opinions from Mercedes enthusiasts here for my next CLS please.

My heart is still set on a 5.5l W219 CLS, I've found 3 on auto-trader that have caught my eye and none of them are perfect in my opinion and not sure what to do, do i wait until the right one comes up or deal the the negatives?

CLS1
Ticks most boxes in terms of what appears to be good condition, lower miles and full MB service history. However, it doesn't have heated seats, it's pre-2008 and i remember reading something about this engine that was fixed after 2008. I did use my heated seats a lot in my old car but i do feel this is something i could possibly live without. Can't say i'm the biggest fan of the interior colour but again i could live with it. Doesn't have the decent sound system upgrade but i can always improve this later on. It's the cheapest of the three.

CLS2
LPG converted which is an added bonus, year and mileage is good. I did go and look at this car and the sales person at the time wasn't budging on price at all. I walked away as its been over 40K since the last service, so my thinking is, if the owner didn't bother to service it after that many miles, what else was neglected.

CLS3
Now this one is my favorite, flappy paddles, exhaust has already been done (will change exhaust whichever one i get, this will be my first ever V8), decent sound system, dual cup holders - this is massive for me for some strange reason :), heated and cooled seats. But the mileage scares me, i really don't know if i want a car that's done pretty much 120K miles and for £8K eek.

I understand I'm buying an older CLS coming from a very new one, the advise in my previous thread helped and i will be putting by at least £200 a month ready for servicing and repairs for the car. I did consider a CLS63 but i remember reading on here about a near £100,000 car new comes with very expensive repair bills so i think I've been put off mentally by this even though it would be the ultimate dream, i have to stay half sensible.

what would you do / pick?

I would discount the not serviced one straight away

I once bought a car that went without a service for 30k miles.

The engine was soon toast

As above, I'd discount CLS2 if it hasn't been serviced in 40k miles. But.............. it's being sold by Jay at Mercland and his cars are top quality. Never read of any complaint about his cars.

CLS3 seems reasonable and 120k on these engines is immaterial if it has been serviced on schedule. Check the service book for services a maximum of 2 yearly or 11k miles. £8K isn't a bad price for an 08 CLS500 IMO. The drivers seat needs a good clean and that wood panelling isn't to everyone's taste. On the plus side, it has a light interior instead of the usual black. If you do take a look at it, ensure everything electrical works, check the pad thickness and disc brakes for lipping. Any wear gives you negotiation room. It has an aftermarket exhaust too with those round quad pipes.

I wouldn't ignore CLS1 either. Heated seats isn't a deal breaker for me. My E55 heated seats never worked. Didn't miss them.
Mileage and price more realistic on this one.

Last edited:
Why would 117,000 miles bother you if the car has a good service history including proper gearbox servicing?

It is a large understressed engine and is mated to a decent and reliable transmission.

As with any car, condition is all. 👍👍

Thank you everyone for the quick responses so far. I'm going to forget about CLS2 and i'm glad i went with my gut and walked away.

I think the mileage bothers me because i once bought an X-Type on 120k miles many moons ago and it was terrible, i know i'm silly to think that all 100k+ cars are riddled with issues but it's the wear on everything else on the car not just the engine that is in my subconscious.

I agree on the exhaust tips of CLS3, but I'm sure a custom exhaust place could change them for me.

@AMGeed - thank you for the tips on the electrical side, i know the window regulators is one to check for, but i will make sure i check everything like the seats, windows, heaters, stereo. I have to say I'm swaying towards this one a lot, even though i agree with you 100% on the wood paneling, very marmite and i don't like marmite :)

Thank you everyone for the quick responses so far. I'm going to forget about CLS2 and i'm glad i went with my gut and walked away.

I think the mileage bothers me because i once bought an X-Type on 120k miles many moons ago and it was terrible, i know i'm silly to think that all 100k+ cars are riddled with issues but it's the wear on everything else on the car not just the engine that is in my subconscious.

I agree on the exhaust tips of CLS3, but I'm sure a custom exhaust place could change them for me.

@AMGeed - thank you for the tips on the electrical side, i know the window regulators is one to check for, but i will make sure i check everything like the seats, windows, heaters, stereo. I have to say I'm swaying towards this one a lot, even though i agree with you 100% on the wood paneling, very marmite and i don't like marmite :)

Take a look at how the car sits before you start it up. Is it level on all corners. Raise and lower the car on the airmatic button and look for the back end to lower and raise.
Also, check for oil leaks around the valve covers each side. Common problem on the M113 engine but a couple of hrs labour to fix.

The X Type was built to a price and it showed in many areas.

At 117k miles many suspension parts etc will have been replaced. 👍👍

I

Take a look at how the car sits before you start it up. Is it level on all corners. Raise and lower the car on the airmatic button and look for the back end to lower and raise.
Also, check for oil leaks around the valve covers each side. Common problem on the M113 engine but a couple of hrs labour to fix.

Think i'll try and take a look this weekend. I'm writing down a list of items to inspect, didn't know about the oil leaks around the valve covers so thanks for that!

I will also check the airmatic suspension, he mentions in his advert "Recently replaced front suspension on the both sides and an airmatic compressor" so fingers crossed it all works as it should.

I would also discount number 2, not a fan of LPG - the tank takes up space and why add further complexity?
If number 1 really does have a full MB service history then that would be a big plus - but I would seriously doubt that it does. You need to qualify the owner as well as the car buying something like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom