CLS wins top Top Gear award

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pammy

MB Enthusiast
Car
hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
According to my Spring 06 Mercedes mag the CLS has been awarded the Luxury car of the year award from Top Gear :bannana:

From James May

To our minds, no car has ever struck the balance between capability and devil-may-care looks quite as well as the Mercedes CLS-Class

Top banana to MB:bannana:

And apprently the S class has been given the best saloon award:bannana:

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2006/01/stories/17/2.html

Last edited:
Since when have 'devil-may-care-looks' been a prerequisite of a luxury car?

I have no problem with car awards per se, but it irritates me when the judges have to scratch around for any old reason, however inconsequential, for choosing one car over another.

My own list of my favourite ever cars are all fundamentally flawed in one way or another, and any lengthy discussion and analysis will always find them relegated by everyone else, but I love them all the same.

Why can't they just say "The CLS is our favourite luxury car, beacuse we like it more than anything else around at the moment."?

PJ

Still looks like a shoe ...... ;)

you have a shoe fetish you haven't told us about??

or you wear really strange shoes!

Howard said:
Still looks like a shoe ...... ;)

I've always said it looks like a shoe .....

The BM 6 series looks like a shoe as well .....

pammy said:
According to my Spring 06 Mercedes mag the CLS has been awarded the Luxury car of the year award from Top Gear :bannana:

Top banana to MB:bannana:

And apprently the S class has been given the best saloon award:bannana:

Top Gear!!!!
I'm afraid they may produce a very entertaining motoring program, but their judgement in 'Top' car awards is usually suspect. Dare I mention the race reviews they gave the Fiat Multipla :rolleyes: :eek: :D

John

repetition does not make it fact :p

Howard said:
I've always said it looks like a shoe .....

The BM 6 series looks like a shoe as well .....

glojo said:
Top Gear!!!!
I'm afraid they may produce a very entertaining motoring program, but their judgement in 'Top' car awards is usually suspect. Dare I mention the race reviews they gave the Fiat Multipla :rolleyes: :eek: :D

John

But it's still a positive mention for MB when all said and done;) A far too rare occurrence these days. And for many the Fiat Mulipla was great. My brother in law had one and he raved about it - he was banned from visiting if he intended coming it though. Has to be the ugliest creation ever!

pammy said:
But it's still a positive mention for MB when all said and done;)!

Totally agree

John

If I had the choice between driving a shoe or something that looked like a mutated frog poisoned by radiation. I reckon I'd take the shoe any day:D

What looks like a frog poisoned by radiation ? :confused:

Howard said:
What looks like a frog poisoned by radiation ? :confused:

A Fiat Multipla - read the whole thread and it'll make sense:rolleyes: ;) :D

Oh a Fiat Ninja Turtle .....

Now i understand .....

Last edited:
Howard said:
Oh a Fiat Ninja Turtle .....

Now i understand .....

I sort of see if Howard, I sort of see it ;) :).

Anyway it's the SLR tht looks like a shoe (if someone would be kind enough to photoshop-ise 1...).

pammy said:
... Fiat Mulipla ...... Has to be the ugliest creation ever!
Uglier than an AMC Pacer
promoPacer.JPG

Back on topic - good for the CLS. And the S Class. I agree with them, even if not for the same reasons !

Touche PJH. at least the guy driving it looks happy, or embarrassed?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom