CLS with 17" or 18" alloys - which are better?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Branko

Car
2007 E320 cdi Sport Estate Iridium Silver
Haven't posted for a while! I got my E320CDi in Oct 2005 (a Jan 2003 model) and swapped the Rucha 16" alloys for some 17" Ankaa alloys from Richard who also posts on here.

Car is being traded in next week for a April 2006 CLS320CDi (in silver!) and the Rucha alloys are up on ebay as the Ankaa ones would need a £200 re-furb to make them look decent and I'm not too sure how much they would go for once re-furbed!

The CLS comes with 17" 5 twin spoke design as standard - just like the set Brian had on his silver CLS before it was transformed into a black CLS with 18" twin spoke upgrades (R72).

I personally like the look of the R31/R32 5 spoke design which are 18" alloys. The dealer said that these make the ride quite hard but they do look good! Any other CLS owners who can comment? What was the ride like Brian when you moved to your new CLS? I note now that all new CLS cars come with 18" as standard following the recent (minor) facelift.

Many thanks to you all.

From an aesthetic perspective I have to say I prefer the various wheels on offer to the older styled CLS compared to the new 2008 revamp offering and as a personal preference I liked the (796) multi-spoke design.

Having test driven a 320 with those wheels, however, I felt that the ride was quite harsh with the poor standard of the roads where I live.

I was therefore happy to leave the standard 17" wheels on my car as they gave a more "forgiving" ride for the kind of day to day driving that I mostly do. I also have the Airmatic suspesion which gives me some flex in the feel of the car as there is a definite change in feel between the comfort mode and the sports modes.

Hello

Better? as in ride or looks

For me bigger = better. Merc ride very well anyway so hardly sports car hard.

I would also choose easy to clean ones.... Multispoke like on the new C63 look a nightmare to clean.

Hello

Better? as in ride or looks

For me bigger = better. Merc ride very well anyway so hardly sports car hard.......

I agree! And thats a big car to only have 17's on.

Mine are simple to clean, and that is worth a lot

I generaly leave mine on the car when I clean mine! ;) :D

My new ones are easier to clean than the 17" ones before, more access and more clearance from the brake discs to clean inside.

As for ride, well, I would say I honestly don't notice the difference. I may have gotten used to them now, but when I first had them thought they were a slightly harder ride. The difference is minimal though.

It's the old adage, you pays your money and takes your choice.;)

One thing you will notice from the E Class is the road-holding which is far superior and corners like a dream.:rock:

I do like the look of the older style 5 spoke 18 inch wheels and will see how I go and, of course, keep an eye on what comes up on ebay!! Many thanks for everyones' contributions.

I am looking forward to the improved handling too - thanks for that Brian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom