Cls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigrichw

Car
CLS 55
Where does this sit in the model range?

CL big coupe
S big exec

But isn't the CLS an E class?

If so why not call it the CLE?

So is it an S Class Coupe?

Confused.com[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think the S Class coupe is what was the CL (Coupe Luxury).

CLS, I think, is Coupe Light Sport.

It's certainly built on the E Class platform.

I think the S Class coupe is what was the CL (Coupe Luxury).

CLS, I think, is Coupe Light Sport.

It's certainly built on the E Class platform.

Ahh, but the later Saabs were built on the Vectra platform, yet if you called a Saab a Vectra, the Saab owners would lynch you.

While the CLS may utilise the E Class platform, the CLS is still superior to the E Class, hence the hefty asking price. Having driven both the E Coupe and the CLS, you can feel the difference, which is as different from the E class to the C class.

It reminds me of those who used to call the Jag X Type a upgraded Mondeo. While the Jag did borrow from the Mondeo, much of it was re-engineered specifically for the X Type, meaning only 18% of the Jag was a Mondeo.

The naming convention that Mercedes use is changing, but the CL was the ultimate coupe, followed by the CLK, which was the shorter cheaper version, along with a CLK soft top. The SL had the same shorter cheaper version, called the SLK.

The CLS is a cheaper version of the CL, with the addition of two extra doors, but I don't know what the S is supposed to denote. Maybe they couldn't use the K, so used an S instead.

The CLS sits in its own class, although with the new naming system we now have a CLA. I wonder if we will see a CLB, CLC and CLE to complement the CLS, which we could now argue is a CL based on the S Class.

Of course, we still have the regular coupes, such as the C, E and S Coupes, so I assume anything using a CL will be a four door coupe instead of the traditional two door coupe.

Who knows how the minds of the Germans think?

I considered buying the face lift CLS but it was the 4 seats that stopped me. However, the 4 seats is what makes the car. Never driven one and my brother has the AMG from new bought about 5 yrs ago. IMO. the CLS beats hands down the old style CLAS for looks and even the new E class. The shooting brake has 5 seats but too big for everyday use.

CLS is one step lower that the S Class and not sure, but I think there are less CLS models on the road than even the S Class.

Less than 400 UK CLS55 still 'on the road' ....

While the CLS may utilise the E Class platform, the CLS is still superior to the E Class, hence the hefty asking price.

Externally, yes the W219 CLS is a better looking car than the W211 E Class.
But superior? Not in my opinion despite its £8k higher price.
I've driven both in 55k guise and they are very very similar. Well seeing the CLS was built on the E class platform it would be.
You are also comparing a genuine 5 seat E class with a 4 seat CLS so to argue it is a better car I would disagree. They are both great models IMO and neither superior to the other.

As for the later W219 v the W212 E class. I'd take the E class on looks every day of the week. MB have failed to improve the looks of the previous model on both the W219 and W205. IMO of course:D

Better is very much subjective...

The CLS wins over the E because of it's looks, it just doesn't look like a thousand other taxis. The CLS is quite unique in the MB line up.

Chassis wise it's also stiffer than the E and quieter inside (IMHO) whilst having more voice externally.

I put it>

E-Class > CLS > S-Class > CL/S Coupe*

Reason being is that the CLS is built from higher quality materials in the cabin (Dad has a W211 Avantgarde so I can compare).

*S Coupe is more exclusive

I used to own a 9-5 Aero HOT. Did I care it was built on a Vectra platform?

Nawp.

Doesn't make any odds to me. I take a car on its own merits and have no concern of what shares what with what. If the final product is shyte, it's shyte!

Having driven a 2008 CLS 320CDI, I was utterly underwhelmed. although it wasn't on Airmatic and the seats were crap.

A CLS55 would probably have been a fairer comparison but I bet I couldn't tell the difference apart from the huge amount of dash wood there is.

The body for me is the only real difference although I do prefer the looks of the CLS...

The W218 is one lovely looking car

I love the look of the CLS. But the 2+2 seating would never suit our needs. I like our 212 but IMO the 213 looks even better. Much nicer interior and modern exterior.

As for the later W219 v the W212 E class. I'd take the E class on looks every day of the week. MB have failed to improve the looks of the previous model on both the W219 and W205. IMO of course:D

Too late to edit the above, but mistakenly typed W219 instead of the post 2011 W218 in this paragraph:doh:

CLS = coupe leicht sport (light sport coupe in English)

I think asking where it fits in the C,E,S range is thinking about it all wrong. Its like asking if a SLK is between a C class and E class.

Personally I think it should be a GTS or something similar (as in Grand Tourer Sport) as that more accurately describes what it is.(imo)

I wonder if we will see a CLB, CLC and CLE to complement the CLS, which we could now argue is a CL based on the S Class.

There's already a CLC. It was that strange front end of a W204 and backend of a W203 thing. Quite rare, fortunately. :devil:

.... Having driven both the E Coupe and the CLS, you can feel the difference....

It reminds me of those who used to call the Jag X Type a upgraded Mondeo. While the Jag did borrow from the Mondeo, much of it was re-engineered specifically for the X Type, meaning only 18% of the Jag was a Mondeo.

E coupe is actually a C class??

X400 (X-type) shared 14 part numbers with the Mondeo, excluding common items like engines, bolts, wheels. I worked at Halewood on the pre-production builds.

CLS is one very nice car and is in a class of it’s own and I wouldn’t compare it with any other model. I find it as a cheaper version of CL but with benefit of 4 doors.
Component sharing within a group/s is quite common nowadays and is to be seen only as asimplification of production and materials management. I never cared much about it as long as components are paired per my taste, and this is what makes the difference in real life. OM642 engine you can find in many MB models (C,E,CLS,M,G,S,V), but there is still a difference among them.

In the new terminology it should be a CLE...... The A class has a standard A class then 4x4 variant as GLA and 4 door coupe variant as CLA. The E class has a standard variant called E class and then a GLE 4x4 and what should be a 4 door coupe called CLE..... Do we think the coupe version of the 4x4 should be called the ***E :)

I liked the X type and once nearly bought one but was put off by horror stories about hidden severe rust in the cills.

IMG_4102.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom