CLS250 mega economy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HumberMart, Apr 11, 2014.

1. HumberMart

HumberMart Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CL500 4.7 twin turbo
    Now the warmer weather's arrived and my 6 month old CLS has 6K on it, the mpg has become nothing short of amazing!

Even shortish trips of 20 miles are returning over 50 mpg and yesterday I did a 180 mile return trip to Kegworth and even with plenty of stop start on the M1 and struggling to keep close enough to the legal limits when I ran late, the door to door OBC mpg was 59 !!!!

I've previously calibrated the OBC by brim to brims so I know it's with 2-3 %.

In a world of disgruntled low mpg owners, all credit to Merc and the CLS250!

1 person likes this.
  2. blue gnome123

blue gnome123 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

That's damn impressive for a big car. I did 302 (99% m-way) miles yesterday at 48mpg keeping up with the traffic in the middle/outside lane. Not bad for a 3l estate.

3. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I think you're reaping the benefit of not just the latest engine improvements over the last few years - but also the improvements in the efficiency automatic transmissions.

It is pretty amazing what these big cars can do. It's kind of satisfying that a performance turbo-diesel can stick a finger up at the VED rules and come in at the same or better than smaller cheaper petrol car.

4. Ten elena

Ten elena Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1998 R129 SL500
    Very nice! I can only dream of mpg like that! :)

5. gaz_l

gaz_l Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLK55, Lancia Ypsilon Twinair
    I'm not a fan of 4 cylinder diesels, & I don't think they have a place in luxury cars, but I have to say that's very impressive. This is the best I could manage in a 1.4 litre Panda when I tried last week:

[​IMG]

And it's really boring sitting in lane 1 of the motorway with the lorries! :wallbash:

Cheers,

Gaz

6. John Jones Jr

John Jones Jr Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
    I know people in general take 50+mpg for granted nowadays but I think that's a truly awesome figure considering the size/weight of the car.

7. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    In principle the 6 cyl diesels should be just about as good. My feeling is that MB have focused more on squeezing the most (or should that be least?) from 4 cyl ones though.

8. JonnyFitz

JonnyFitz Member

Car:
    CLS 250 Sport
    I concur.

I am 3000 miles in to the same vehicle. Reading to Manchester ( via Doncaster) last week and I managed mid 50. Granted I went through several roadworks with average speed cameras but still impressive.