CLS350 2005 M272 aux belt tensioner wobbly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob095

Car
2005 W219 CLS350
Hi all,

My first post., nice to meet you all

I'm a happy owner of W219 CLS since June this year, been looking for V8 really but found a V6 with a nice spec and decided to go for it.
The only issue I have at the moment is the aux belt tensioner noise and wobble.
Bought a new tensioner off ECS yesterday and fitted it today - completely no difference at all and the new one still wobbles (?).
Any ideas? Is the new tensioner faulty or is there something else wrong?

Thanks a lot for your help.

You could have an issue with another pulley that is causing the tensioner to wobble. If you still have the noise you need to check everything that the belt touches. It could be the alternator clutch pulley on the way out.

Define 'wobble'.
A bit of rocking is kind of normal for an idler pulley but there should be zero radial play - or noise. If there is still noise it suggests a fault elsewhere.

Thanks haven't thought that fault on other pulleys can cause the tensioner to move. Will check other pulleys later today to confirm.
Bellow can't attach a video here so uploaded it on YT
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Sorry for low quality.
That's with the old tensioner but behaves the same with the new one.
Need to add the noise it makes only occur on idle and can't be heard during normal driving at least not on the inside.

Last edited:
when i had my aircon pump replaced i had them just replace all of the pulleys at the same time, my power steering pump is making a little bearing noise now so thats going to be done shortly, I did consider having that done at the same time, I wish i had.

really enjoy my cls, always like the shape and style of the car, plus it quite roomy.

You having any other issues coming up? get yourself a cheap obd reader that links to your phone and grab a copy of the torque app. helped me out no ends.

hope that helps a little ;)

The noise at idle points to alternator clutch pulley failure, it will cause the belt to snatch and the tensioner will in turn appear to wobble as the load on the belt changes. They are not to hard to change, but you will need the proper tool to get it off. I have had this problem on both my Sprinters, the noise is quite high pitched. I did the one on the CLK before it failed when I was doing the water pump. For peace of mind I changed all the idlers, belt and tensioner.

Yes confer on that alternator pulley one way clutch, AND those scuff lines on the belt need investigation .What's causing that?
Tuercas viejas

Thanks haven't thought that fault on other pulleys can cause the tensioner to move. Will check other pulleys later today to confirm.
Bellow can't attach a video here so uploaded it on YT
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Sorry for low quality.
That's with the old tensioner but behaves the same with the new one.
Need to add the noise it makes only occur on idle and can't be heard during normal driving at least not on the inside.
Different wobble to what I expected. I thought you were referring to the bearing.
Other posts cover your 'wobble'.

Thanks all confirmed as you said, replaced and it good now with no funny noises.
Yes confer on that alternator pulley one way clutch, AND those scuff lines on the belt need investigation .What's causing that?
Tuercas viejas
Most likely caused by alternator clutch pulley, fitted a new one will have a look in a couple weeks to see if they show up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom