CLS350 or S350

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slartibartfast

SUPPORTER
Car
W221 S350L, R231 SL350 & SL400
I'm now retired and have a budget of around £20k-£25k for a nice car. I'm considering either a CLS350 (circa 2016) or an S350 (circa 2014).

I would appreciate any feedback regarding reliability, economy and expected running costs of these models.

Many thanks.

Both will probably have the same running gear (V6 diesel + 7G gearbox) which are pretty reliable units , although not perfect.

For me on looks alone it would be the CLS as i still rate it as one of the best looking cars on the road today , especially in grey.

IMHO i always thought the S class was to be driven in and not to drive , unless you were a chauffeur that is.

S will loose more money than the CLS over time , CLS will be better on fuel , S class will be more expensive to insure , S class will have more tech to go wrong , S class would be the choice if i was doing a lot of motorway miles so loads of variables to consider depending on your personal requirements.

K

Both will probably have the same running gear (V6 diesel + 7G gearbox) which are pretty reliable units , although not perfect.

For me on looks alone it would be the CLS as i still rate it as one of the best looking cars on the road today , especially in grey.

IMHO i always thought the S class was to be driven in and not to drive , unless you were a chauffeur that is.

S will loose more money than the CLS over time , CLS will be better on fuel , S class will be more expensive to insure , S class will have more tech to go wrong , S class would be the choice if i was doing a lot of motorway miles so loads of variables to consider depending on your personal requirements.

K
Many thanks for your input.

I have had an S class followed by a CLS and would say that your choice really comes down to what is most important to you.
For the ultimate in stress free luxury motoring the choice is S class. I had mine to while away my Norfolk to Yorkshire commute and it was superb at mile munching luxury. If you are a keen or sporting driver, it will gently remind you not to misbehave and to assume a more relaxed approach.

The CLS is a lower and lighter car and will actually engage in a little play if requested, but gives up that last few percent of peace and tranquility on a long run.
One very worthwhile mechanical difference there will be in the years of cars you are looking at, is the 2016 CLS will have a 9 speed auto 'box.
I had this in my GLE, and it remains the best auto box I have driven.

Test drive both, only you will know your priorities.

As above, they are different cars with different styles. For me at retirement, I’d be after the S class. But then I fantasise about running an early 60s Rolls Royce Silver Cloud when I retire. If you can still by petrol in the future!

Either choice will be a great car: but for that ‘I’m treating myself in retirement’ feeling, I’d go for an S.

Interestingly my boss just retired and bought himself an S class as his treat.

Whatever you buy, report back with pictures!

Buy what you fancy, that all depends on what you are looking for!
I am the wrong side of 70 , been retired 20 years, had the E class then 2 ML's but decided I wanted something smaller and more like a boys toy so bought an A210 ( owned briefly as my wife hated it and so it wasn't used ) sold it and the ML and bought something smaller, convertible and with a V8 . Result is I am smiling every time I start it up, my motto is to buy what makes you happy and don't worry about anyone else ( unless it's your partner )

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Is Autotrader still the best place to buy used? I've been a company car driver for the last 30 years and am a little out of touch!

I'm now retired and have a budget of around £20k-£25k for a nice car. I'm considering either a CLS350 (circa 2016) or an S350 (circa 2014).

I would appreciate any feedback regarding reliability, economy and expected running costs of these models.

Many thanks.
Same Slartibartfast who had an E90 M3 among other cars and frequented VMax many years ago (2007 ish?)

Jules

Three points:

I doubt that the S350 class will be more to insure than a CLS350. Just run a couple of quotes through, and you'll soon see.

At these ages, I struggle to know why you'd choose a V6 over the V8. The difference in fuel consumption is small. The worst of the depreciation is already done. and the V8's are better specified / maintained. (And Beware ex-Carrriage Trade S350's)

CLS vs S Class ? It all comes down to who will sit in the back seats. Personally, I find the CLS very claustrophobic. How often will you use the back seats and what for? Just sit in the back seats and form a view.

It's a nice "champagne problem" to have. I'd go Krug, myself:

p97-739x370.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Is Autotrader still the best place to buy used? I've been a company car driver for the last 30 years and am a little out of touch!

Have a browse through this website. It lists all models of Mercedes from main dealers, independant dealers and private sales. You can searcg by price, location, model and I found it very iseful when searching for my current car.

Find Used Cars, we have 500,000 Listed Online for Sale now | AutoVillage

Unless I managed to make a pig's ear of it (entirely possible...), that website is utterly useless if you know exactly which model you want, and there ain't none on it...

I searched only for ML 500, and it gave me five pages of MLs, none of them 500s, to look through, so I did, but no message to say 'none found' or similar. Good way of wasting time, though.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out an ex-carriage S class. I know someone who drives these things for a swanky hotel, they are kept in absolutely immaculate condition.

Unless I managed to make a pig's ear of it (entirely possible...), that website is utterly useless if you know exactly which model you want, and there ain't none on it...

I searched only for ML 500, and it gave me five pages of MLs, none of them 500s, to look through, so I did, but no message to say 'none found' or similar. Good way of wasting time, though.

I searched for my E63 using the pricing low method. Just kept clicking the pages until my price range came up. Quite a few E63's especially at the main dealers but I admit the E class is much more wanted than the ML. Anyway, its another site to choose from.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out an ex-carriage S class. I know someone who drives these things for a swanky hotel, they are kept in absolutely immaculate condition.

It's all down to provenance, service records, signs of wear at touch points etc.

As horatio points out, a well-maintained hotel car is a great choice. The issue is more the clocked / hidden high mileage car that has every expense side-stepped.

Simply avoid buying the only one you see. Look at a few, and maybe take someone with you that is familiar with them.

Just to add a bit more paranoia, we regularly see immaculate cars on here which have done 200,000 miles. That needs to be born in mind. Cosmetically great, but some (and only "some") of those moving bits have done a lot of moving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom