CLS500 airmatic front right strut down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dancki

Car
CLS 500 AMG
Hi all

I know that the airmatic suspension problem was discussed here more times than Brexit but happened to me that i have an issue.

I was going home on 40mph road and noticed some squeeling somewhere from the car. All of a sudden all messages about car too low came up on the dash etc. but disregarding that i managed to get home. Got out and front right strut is low, not fully slammed, just lower than others. Restarted the car and i have noticed that the air strut want to pump up but then is going down. The compressor is trying to pump it up so i switched the car off to avoid overheat. Next i tried to raise the car on the jack and the hissing sound appeared, as i am going up with the jack the hissing changes over to high pitch squeeky'is noise.

Please advise if this is the strut replacement job straight away or maybe the air hose got cut somewhere. I will hook up to DELPHI (thats the only thing i have access to) over this weekend to see if any errors come up and if i can narrow down the diagnosis.

Looking forward to read from yo u soon ...

Certainly sounds like a leaking strut but a Star diagnosis will tell for sure. You did the right thing turning the engine off before you burn the airmatic pump out as well.
In your position I'd have the car trailered to Terry at Wayne Gates Harrow and let him fix it.

Ok. So i have plugged the car to delphi and some messages came up ( in the attachments) . Noticed also that the car is locked in the sports 2 mode and i can not change between airmatic modes. I have cleared the codes but nothing has come up (obviously not drove the car as dont want to damage it further. Also attached the pressures from the suspension

Attachments

• cls codes 1.jpg
    cls codes 1.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 8
  • cls codes 2.jpg
    cls codes 2.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 8
  • cls codes 3.jpg
    cls codes 3.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 8
  • cls codes 4.jpg
    cls codes 4.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 8
So. i have replaced the air strut and its sorted The old one was so badly damaged that i can extend or compress it by hand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom