CLS500 Engine mounts replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JeffT

Car
2005 CLS500
Nearly a year in to ownership and quite frankly by far best car I have ever owned. Especially as recently had exhaust resonator removed so now sounds amazing.
Only niggle is I feel a vibration when sat at lights in neutral and there has always been a slight feeling of what I can only describe as coarseness through the pedal when driving.
Engine mounts is obvious answer but my local garage chappy reckons they are fine. So, spend £250>£400 to satisfy my curiosity? I'm fairly handy with spanners and plan to have a better look this weekend but can't find anything on-line that would show if its a DIY job so if anyone any pointers?
Mounts are oil filled but are still rubber which is now 10 years old and so must have deteriorated over that time.
ps - Harmonic damper pulley already been replaced.
Thanks

My engine mounts at 10 years old were wrecked but I think they looked OK from the outside until they were removed!

Whether or not it is worth a punt - I'm not so sure at that price.

I did mine because I was fitting new manifolds that made it harder to access the engine manifolds / or change them at least, so it was future-proofing somewhat!

thanks John. Can get decent mounts for around £100 so if I can do it myself its worth a shot.

mileage?

how long have you had this vibration?

the V8 does have very slight unevenness to it ..

Would a Merc Indy. be able to hazard a better guess, looking at the amount of engine movement at idle?

82k miles. I think its been there since I got the car. Weird thing is when you look at the engine ticking over it does not move yet sat in car you can feel a vibration. I have revved the car in gear with foot on brake and passenger side of engine does raise an inch or so - in reverse the drivers side stays solid.
Been poring through forums a while and a lot of owners say replace the mounts as the difference it makes is amazing.
The mounts are dry so presume oil is still in there.

Planning to go to Merc Indy at weekend for a second opinion:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom