CLS500 on Autotrader

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TinCool

Car
2008 CLS 500 5.5
First time posted. I'm looking at the possibility of purchasing a CLS500 at some point in the next 6 months or so and have been looking through the various car market websites. I came across this one which looks too good to be true:

2006 Silver MERCEDES-BENZ CLS 5.0 CLS500 7G-Tronic 4dr for sale for £7950 in Lichfield, Staffordshire

I checked the MOT history and it's only had one? I checked the DVLA website and it was first registered in July 2018. It must be a japanese import or something? Is there anywhere else I can check the details to confirm if it is an import? Do I just assume that it is? What would I need to look out for in that case?

Phone the seller and ask? You can also do a HPI

Car looks clean.

It must be a japanese import or something? Is there anywhere else I can check the details to confirm if it is an import? Do I just assume that it is? What would I need to look out for in that case?

It has the speedometer in KM/H so I would not be at all surprised if it was a Japanese import.

So it doesn't have a top speed of 260mph? ;-) Good shout John, should have spotted that one. So lets just say it is a japanese import. Anything I should be wary of?
I've spent 1000's on my current car in it's first year as I made a bad buy. I don't want to fall in to that same hole again and want to be 100% thorough.

It is as John suspected a Japanese import going on the datacard below.
At one time they were limited to 110mph and were more difficult to insure. Get an online quote beforehand for a Japanese import.

Datacard below FYI.

Attachments

• WDD2193752A065436.pdf
    11.8 KB · Views: 9
Thanks both. You've been very helpful. I will no doubt be back again with requests for more opinions.

Good luck checking out the "Service History x9"; how's your Japanese?

If the seller can confirm exactly when it was imported, and it was recently, I'd think it would be genuine; you'd need to look carefully at it to be sure there's no repaired damage, but at that mileage the power train should be barely run in. If I were looking for a CLS, I'd probably buy it, but I'm biased; I think the early CLS is one of the best, if not the best, looking cars MB has ever made.

If I were looking for a CLS, I'd probably buy it, but I'm biased; I think the early CLS is one of the best, if not the best, looking cars MB has ever made.
What year does this version of CLS go to? I really do love the shape of it.

The first generation W219 CLS went from 2005 - 2010, followed in 2011 by the W218.

The first generation W219 CLS went from 2005 - 2010, followed in 2011 by the W218.

w218 is my favourite, they perfected the front end. :)

Why did the 219 come before the 218, do you know?

Why did the 219 come before the 218, do you know?
I am going to guess that Merc didnt plan forward, and couldn't call the newer model the w220 (due to s class) so had to go down in number :D

Nice looking car, however, IIRC the Japanese radio frequencies work on a different one to UK. Worth checking the unit picks up uk radio.

I would check with local MB that they can supply spare parts for the car using vin number

I would check with local MB that they can supply spare parts for the car using vin number

That’s a small issue tbh, he can always find a vrm from a similar vehicle..

It is more likely to be from Republic of Ireland. That would explain the speedo scale.

Edit: The pic of the COMAND unit does seem to have Japanese characters. And the Japanese love rain shields around the side windows.

Last edited:
It is more likely to be from Republic of Ireland. That would explain the speedo scale.

The datacard says Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom