CLS500 vs 320cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A210AMG said:
I look forward to driving my tractor when even I do.

I like it even more getting 40 plus MPG :)

I was thinking walking to work this morning, in normally daily / weekly drives.... how would I benifit from a V8. Most of my journeys it would make little or no difference. Our trips to europe would just mean more stops for fuel.

If however you like *** and live in a place with good open roads, few cars (and hopefully poilce) then ok the V8 but in the same token If I was after a car for those sorts of roads I would want a Porsche or something that handles really well.

:)

The V8s are nice. Nicer than the V6CDi but not massively so that you feel that the deisel is nasty. I'd love a Porsche but sadly a bad back rules out a car like that.

Last year I had an ML500 (I posted some photos of it here - it was a Japanese import) and in all reasonable areas of performance I wouldn't say the V8 stood out as any better than my V6 CDI. The V6 diesel spins fast up the revs, not too dissimilar to a petrol - something I still find amazing, specially compared to my other diesel car and others I've experienced!

Yes, the ML500 made a nice noise, pulled strongly, but not enough to convert me I'm afraid. My CLS 320CDI has all the performance I need and I've yet to find it wanting in any area. :)

And, a Porsche Carrera 4 is a wonderful beast and still sits at the top of driving experiences for me.

Last edited:
So went yesterday to a local mb dealer who had 2 320cdi both 2009 facelift. Started one and it sounded like a tractor (I have a 220cdi which is noisy) the salesman said that this was due to the car needing a service. So went to look at the second one, started this one and after a few seconds started to shake violently, the salesmen said to turn of the engine and bought out a technican who said that a cylinder was misfiring. I think the salesman was a bit embarrassed. Offered a 1k off list price but walked away.

What waste of a day, this was a main dealer with 2 Cls which were poorly presented.

Are the 320 v6 units as noisy as the 220cdi?

No. The V6 is very quiet and smooth. Can you name the dealer? both these V6CDi cars sound trouble and never make stupid noises unless there's a serious problem. Two basket case cars I bet...

Am I allowed to name the dealer? I know on PH they have a name and shame policy

You name & shame away, you're only stating facts and you might save someone else a wasted day.

No. The V6 is very quiet and smooth.

They aren't BMW straight six quiet - and there's a top end tick that is normal.

You would do well to listen to others - perhaps someone on here - where are you based?

Are the 320 v6 units as noisy as the 220cdi?

Definitely not, the V6's are much more refined than the 220's especially at idle / low speed. Compared with petrol, you are never in any doubt that there is a diesel engine under the bonnet, but the V6's are pretty quiet.

Hughes Mercedes, I've driven the new e350 and s350 and they were silent could not tell they were diesel, thought the Cls would be the same, need to look at a few more I think,

The search continues....

My 320cdi is actually very quiet, just a faint tick and a low, pleasant, almost V8-ish rumble on tick-over and a nice, throaty growl when revved. If you're down my way, you're welcome to have a listen! :D

My penny worth on CLS noise.

On a cold start up, it clearly a diesel engine, and quite noisy from the outside, but those noises are very well insulated away from the cabin. Once warmed up the sound that pass through the cabin is very close to petrol V6.

If i'm getting a V8 CLS, it have to be the CLS 63!

My penny worth on CLS noise.

On a cold start up, it clearly a diesel engine, and quite noisy from the outside, but those noises are very well insulated away from the cabin. Once warmed up the sound that pass through the cabin is very close to petrol V6.

If i'm getting a V8 CLS, it have to be the CLS 63!

^ I would have loved a 63 when i bought my 500 but would have needed £15k more for a same aged one although the oldest 63'3 can be had for about £25k now(not sure what the op's budget is but maintenance/insurance would also be a lot higher).

Hughes Mercedes, I've driven the new e350 and s350 and they were silent could not tell they were diesel, thought the Cls would be the same, need to look at a few more I think,

The search continues....

^ Not saying all mb dealers are the same but be very careful when buying aproved used(recently viewed an ml a/u that didn't have complete history/atf hadn't been done as scheduled & had rusting rear arches),you can be sucked in by the promise of multi checks/full mb history etc(+ the screen price will be top dollar),but still double check all history paperwork & any car you look at very carefully!

Steve333 I see you have a 500 (388) how do you find it for running costs

Did you consider the diesel as well?

They aren't BMW straight six quiet - and there's a top end tick that is normal.

You would do well to listen to others - perhaps someone on here - where are you based?

Hmm. I've been in Tim Kemps C320cdi, D18's E280cdi, mine, driven a CLS350CDi, driven MB Edinburghs C320cdi and GordonTarlings E320cdi estate, oh and an S350cdi. I've also experienced them in very cold temps and have left them for a while, they don't sound rough.

Just how many more V6CDI's do you propose I travel in, or drive, before I can actually post on the subject?

The V6CDi is pretty quiet, and as the OP was referencing it to a 220cdi, its an awful lot quieter than that. I've owned one of these too;).

I've also driven a BMW 730d, IIRC a 2006 car. As much as I adore BMWs, the MB one has it covered for refinement.
They don't make stupid noises unless there is something wrong.

Definitely not, the V6's are much more refined than the 220's especially at idle / low speed. Compared with petrol, you are never in any doubt that there is a diesel engine under the bonnet, but the V6's are pretty quiet.

Exactly.

Steve333 I see you have a 500 (388) how do you find it for running costs

Did you consider the diesel as well?

Never considered a diesel as i only do about 8k a year in the cls & really wanted a petrol v8,insurance is £550(full comp/protected no claims),tax £435,servicing not much different than the diesel(but plugs every 40k are about £300),real world mpg over a tank in the last 20 months i've had the car has beenabout 22mpg,a word of warning.if you test drive both you will be a v8 owner;)

Thanks Steve

Your welcome,v8 petrols are a buyers market(a 4 year old cls500 with average mileage can be had for about £16k now & with the spec i've got where £67k new!),don't be put off by private sales-you could find an immaculate one owner car with full history if you look hard & don't rush,good luck!

I just traded a V8 for a V6Cdi, and although I enjoyed owning the V8 for its beauty I'm glad I did it.

The CL500 depreciated like falling off a cliff (index linked to the price of petrol), and silly things started to go wrong that cost a fortune to fix. Now I have a car I can afford to go places in, rather than the indignity of taking her diesel Skoda, that has an old-fashioned spring in each corner and where I can close my own damn doors without a £700 pump to go wrong.

I cant say Ive noticed any decrease in engine smoothness or speed, and it never sounds like a taxi - though as its a C320cdi SE with the sports pack it is noisier from the wheels, the CL just wafted along like a ghost.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom