Cls55 airmatic pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew W

Car
Vw caddy
I want to change the piston ring in my pump
as it's got lazy due to the leek I had .
Can I just take the pump off .
Was wondering if it had a valve on the system to keep the air in or will I need to support the car when it's all released . Cheers

it will drop on tyres when you remove pump as it will loose all its air.

Why you changing the piston? did you do a compression test? is it failing?

Amo said:
it will drop on tyres when you remove pump as it will loose all its air. Why you changing the piston? did you do a compression test? is it failing?
I'm going to change the piston ring and seals actually as it's been working overtime and prematurely wore it out , it's running but not
working as it should .

I'm going to change the piston ring and seals actually as it's been working overtime and prematurely wore it out , it's running but not
working as it should .

thats fine, however i would still get it on Star and do a compression test. If it passed then leave it well alone. I have hceard some horror stories about pistons and seals. New pumps are only £220 now so its worth spending labour to fit a new pump than old. Also be careful when tightening the pump back on as its plastic thread which tends to overtight very easily causing a leak.

Amo said:
thats fine, however i would still get it on Star and do a compression test. If it passed then leave it well alone. I have hceard some horror stories about pistons and seals. New pumps are only £220 now so its worth spending labour to fit a new pump than old. Also be careful when tightening the pump back on as its plastic thread which tends to overtight very easily causing a leak.
Thanks for the advice , the pump is less than a year old and I'm going to fit the ring while in situ
I like trying to sort this sort of thing , if it doesn't
work I'll fit a new one .

sounds cheap! MB part price?

I ordered from ebay with same part as MB list but only with Wabco branding on the box. Free next day delivery made it such an easy transaction.

MB price is £400+ i believe for same Wabco product in MB packaging.

I bought the kit as well a while ago, removed pump and found it nigh on impossible to open, so put it back on the car. Pump was working fine before I removed it, only tried to do it as a bit of preventative maintenance while the front end was stripped.
As Amo said, I will just replace pump when needed.

On mine i started seeing white up arrow on the dash every now and again when driving, once connected to star the fault read not achieving optimum pressure, the car had no leaks and did not lose height, but I went for a new pump knowing after 10 years it was best to fit a new one before it totally failed.

Yea pressure test on STAR tests the compression level of pump and you should do 3 simultaneous tests to see if the pump able to perform. I use to receive that same "white error" every 10 - 15 mins of me starting to drive and i had issue with my car dropping on rear so pump was the first thing i changed and the car felt soo much better with full level of compression on the airmatic system.

I ordered from ebay with same part as MB list but only with Wabco branding on the box. Free next day delivery made it such an easy transaction.

MB price is £400+ i believe for same Wabco product in MB packaging.

Hi Amo,

Do you have a link for the pump you bought. Did you fit it yourself or an Indy?

Thanks

That's good to now the car didn't drop ,
As mines less than a year old I wonder if it's still
under warranty although my air leek caused it to
Fail prematurely ??

Andrew if you have leak and they prove it somehow that pump failed early due to air leak, they will not honour the warranty.

Amo said:
Andrew if you have leak and they prove it somehow that pump failed early due to air leak, they will not honour the warranty.
Yes that's what I thought ,I can't find the bloody receipt anyways ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom