CLS55 AMG - What is this hose please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GT3RS

Car
No more cars!
Could someone kindly let me know the purpose of this hose please, and what would happen if it was not connected at all during 200 miles of hard driving? Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 7E158D97-9BCF-4940-87EB-5CC50E1BAA69.jpeg
    7E158D97-9BCF-4940-87EB-5CC50E1BAA69.jpeg
    252.4 KB · Views: 39
Looks like maybe secondary air injection or oil breather system.

I would guess high fuel economy, maybe poor running especially idle and if it is oil breather then maybe a bit of vapour out the exhaust.

I would expect an engine light on as well

possibly idle control, intake leak, rough running or tick over

Hi,
That pipe is part of the secondary air injection system.
With this pipe off for any amount of time I would of expected the MIL light to of come on.
The fact it is not on more than likely indicates the engine didn't go through enough starting cycles to trigger it.
Refit properly and forget about it.
No lasting damage to engine to consider, indeed this system can be coded out quite easily if it becomes defective.
Quote from Pelicanparts web site:
"Secondary air injection is a vehicle emission control wherein fresh air is injected into the exhaust stream to allow for a more efficient catalytic converter. The air injection point is called the upstream injection point. When the engine is cold, air is injected upstream of the catalytic converter to clean up the extra-rich exhaust and raises the temperature of the exhaust to bring the catalytic converter to operating temperature quickly. Once the engine is warm, air injection is halted. This function usually only runs for a short time, when first starting the engine".

If the hose is prone to coming off , ideally buy a new one , you can probably secure it by putting either a hose clip of appropriate size on each end , or just use a cable tie pulled tight .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom