CLS55 - An introduction and a few questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kooky1976

Car
2005 CLS55 AMG
Hi everyone. I bought a CLS55 AMG 3 weeks ago and although this isn't my first post (I had suspension issues from the outset), I have spent the last week or so flicking through the 250 pages on in this Lounge and thought it time to say hi.

I've come from a 2003 Boxster which after a couple of years started to have an impact on my back (I've just passed 40) and so I was hankering for something with more comfort and more power to boot. After helping my brother-in-law hunt around for ML63's (he ended up buying a V10 Touareg unfortunately), the 55K AMG's caught my eye.

The car I've bought is a silver 2005 in pretty much pauper spec (no Keyless go, no Distronic, no Parktronic, no Pulse, no sunroof) but these weren't my priority - mechanically I believe it's been well looked after (the suspension issue at the beginning of my ownership was just bad luck I think). It's done 105k and has MB service history up to 72k and services have been carried out by independents thereon in. It's had Mobil One 0-40 all the way through, 2 ATF changes, 3 sets of plugs and 3 brake fluid changes. I am planning to do as much of the servicing myself from now on and plan to do an oil change next week (Petronas 5-40) with replacement filters at the same time.

The car has been fiddled with in the last 9 months or so by the previous owner. It has aluminium billet pulleys but the SC pulley measures approximately 90mm so I'm guessing this is a standard size? It has Green Gates Belt.

Also the car has had a custom map by Phoenix Automotive Technologies in Verwood. I have asked them for more info but haven't had an answer yet.

Suspension wise the car has just had a replacement nearside front strut and has had Evolution lowering links front and rear although I think I will revert to standard and get a lowering module.

So here come the questions.

1 - Why would someone go to the expense of fitting what look like expensive pulleys but stay with the stock sizes or I'm I measuring incorrectly? (90mm across the front face).
2 - Where can I buy pulley shims or does anyone know the ID / OD dimensions so that I can source some? I haven't measured the gap yet but from the feel of the car I think it will be a bit on the low side.
3 - I know the ambient weather is cold at the moment - after 2 or 3 hard but short blasts, my IAT's peaked at 46c; is this ok? I don't believe I have a problem with my IC pump but I'm putting it on a dyno next week so this will tell me I guess.

PS - The green is going and I don't believe painting the charger casing black will have helped with heat dissipation.

46 degree IATs isn't bad after a few pulls.

The following is some track data from my car which has an 84mm pulley (stage 1?), split cooling with an engine bay tank and a larger heat exchanger. From 0-130mph

Ambient temps = 11C (52F)
Starting IAT before burnout = 24C (75F)
Starting IAT after burnout = 28C (82F)
Finish line IAT = 53C (127F)

I cannot comment on the pulleys but I'd say that's hot. Running at 10-15C above ambient is what you should be aiming at. Ideally even less.

I cannot comment on the pulleys but I'd say that's hot. Running at 10-15C above ambient is what you should be aiming at. Ideally even less.
Ok so maybe a Bosch 010 before reducing the pulley size then.

Thinking about it and looking at the picture of the kit, the SC pulley isn't even in the photo so I guess it was left alone.

Ok so maybe a Bosch 010 before reducing the pulley size then.

That would make sense if you are looking at an 84mm s/c pulley upgrade.
You might want to think about a bigger heat exchanger as well if you go for the 77mm pulley.

Just done some extensive cooling mods to mine I wouldn't use a Bosch I'd use a pierburg cw-100 or what vrp sell as a super flow. That's an oem pulley you can tell by the bevelled front edge. Lovely car personally like the Green Bay

Just done some extensive cooling mods to mine I wouldn't use a Bosch I'd use a pierburg cw-100 or what vrp sell as a super flow. That's an oem pulley you can tell by the bevelled front edge. Lovely car personally like the Green Bay

Hi Jamie, How's your car doing, what cooling have you done out of interest? I have heard of the pierburg, that's quite a bit of flow you must have.

Hi Jamie, How's your car doing, what cooling have you done out of interest? I have heard of the pierburg, that's quite a bit of flow you must have.

Cars doing good now had some issues with shit in the s\c after I removed and refitted but have sorted now after another strip down.

What I've learned on cooling so far is this. Johnston's pumps are crap they only work on standard cooling but don't have the flow rate of a Bosch. I had a johnson's fitted when I split my cooling. I fitted a fabtech under bonnet ice tank. I used 3/4 hose on the first attempt it was to big and the little Johnson's pump could barely move the water.

Second attempt, I reducing hosing down to 5/8th (which is what I should have got in the first place) got some more flow but still was heat soaking bad.

Third attempt, fitted the pierburg pump wired straight to the ignition the flow is unreal compared to my previous pump. I can vent the system from dry just by putting ignition on no issues.\

I'm currently running a 172mm crank with an 83mm upper and my temps are hitting just over 50 degrees on a 0-130mph pull. I also have a eurocharged heat exchanger on the way.

Jamie1986 very interesting, not just me that has previously faffed about with split cooling then. Nice work. Good luck going forward with the car.

Jamie1986 very interesting, not just me that has previously faffed about with split cooling then. Nice work. Good luck going forward with the car.

Yes I enjoy the challenge of doing the work. Also I’m a plumber by trade so split cooling is basically that. Will be running the car at santa pod on the 17th after a long winter of modding will see how I get on.

I actually came across this car on Instagram. The guy posted a picture of all work done on this car over the time he had it. I personally don't know the guy but his name on Instagram is adam snowdon with account name adders01
Only started following him as i was interested on how he made his headlights dark. He has a range rover now. Seems like he likes modding cars too as he is at it on this one now.

I actually came across this car on Instagram. The guy posted a picture of all work done on this car over the time he had it. I personally don't know the guy but his name on Instagram is adam snowdon with account name adders01
Only started following him as i was interested on how he made his headlights dark. He has a range rover now. Seems like he likes modding cars too as he is at it on this one now.

Ok thanks that's useful to know a bit of the recent history. I gave it an oil change at the weekend and while I was underneath noticed it's had a Johnson CM30 pump fitted so I guess for the moment I don't need to worry about that.

Will look into splitting the cooling in the Spring.

Having it dyno'd Friday!

Ok thanks that's useful to know a bit of the recent history. I gave it an oil change at the weekend and while I was underneath noticed it's had a Johnson CM30 pump fitted so I guess for the moment I don't need to worry about that.

Will look into splitting the cooling in the Spring.

Having it dyno'd Friday!

No worries mate. It looks like it was looked after well. Any mods you don't like just change it. Amazing car anyways. Love my cls 55 amg.
If your going benz on the green this year it would be good to see it there.
Great event if you don't know about it.

No worries mate. It looks like it was looked after well. Any mods you don't like just change it. Amazing car anyways. Love my cls 55 amg.
If your going benz on the green this year it would be good to see it there.
Great event if you don't know about it.

where is Benz on the green I've never heard of it

Its great meet/event. Well worth going mate. Still places left. Be good if u make it.
Check the events page.[/QUOTE

have checked it out, looks like a huge meet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom