CLS55 Auto Boot/Trunk woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RetiredSlider

Car
CLS 55 AMG, E270 CDI
Howdy All & Happy New Year.
I bought my car knowing that the previous owner had damaged/broken the power boot/trunk mechanism and it could only be opened by the emergency key. I was told that it was just a broken bracket on the hinge (but of course took this with a large pinch of salt)

Upon digging into it over the last couple of days the situation is as follows:

- The bracket on the hinge arm that connects to the motor itself was sheared
- The angle sensor and arm was snapped
- The control box was disconnected

What i have done so far:

- Replaced the hinge
- Reconnected all the plugs into the control box (TLC/HDS Control Unit N121)
- Not replaced the angle sensor as yet (Trunk Lid Angle Detection Sensor - B24/16)
- Checked the motor with a live feed (it works and drives the arm)
- Checked the wiring to the trunk lid (it's all in working order, i know this can be a problem)
- Checked the fuse in the drivers compartment fuse box
- Rear brake light works, rear numberplate lights work, vehicle lock button on the boot works
- Connected the snapped Trunklid angle detections sensor and turned the snapped end to see if it affected the boot or trunk motor - it doesn't.

What doesn't work:

- The auto boot at all. Tried via the smart key, button in the cabin.
- The boot/trunk release button (will only open via the emergency key)

Couple of questions:
- Anybody have any ideas as to why the boot or the electric boot release switch/catch doesn't work?
- I'm still struggling to figure out how this boot works. I have all the diagrams (i'll link below) but i'm making an assumption that the angle sensor detects somebody pushing/pulling on the boot which in turn operates the motor to allow the boot to be opened? Or is it totally and always electronically operated?
- At present i'm currently stuck with the n/s hinge stuck either down or up (depending on where i moved the motor too with the live 12v) i'm assuming that if the boot isn't operating you can't connect it all up and still use it manually? IE: the motor blocks me opening or closing the lid.
- It feels to me like the control box may be to blame here, would moving the angle sensor manually illicit a response from the motor?

I really appreciate any help or thoughts you can offer. A very happy new year to you all.

Regards

Chris

FYI:
This isn't my car - but a picture I found of the system. The red arrow is the angle sensor.

Page-3228001.png

The Sam reads the angle sensor. If its faulty (and I have seen faulty ones) then the SAM will stop driving the motor. Star Diagnosis is most useful at the point you have reached

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom