CLS55...best aftermarket brake pads for track?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BeansMeansCLS

Car
CLS55
Hi all - planning on going on track soon with the CLS and was wondering if anyone had any experience with aftermarket brake pads?

I suspect the OEM ones won't be up to the job ;)

I remember the Top Gear report on the CLS55 and with JC blatting round their test track the brakes overheated within a couple of laps, big red warning on the dash! Even with the traction control 'off' the SBC is still trying to control the car through the corners..

Hi all - planning on going on track soon with the CLS and was wondering if anyone had any experience with aftermarket brake pads?

I suspect the OEM ones won't be up to the job ;)
Carbotec, but not on the road, they squeal like hell until they are very hot, but best track pad I had with my E55, once the over heated brakes illuminate as per the other post, limp mode will follow if you don't cool them down, thats a bit of a worry when it happens, until you realise whats happening..:)

I will only be doing one track day and the rest of the time road use so would want something that is suitable for road...have been looking at both red and yellowstuff pads with mixed opinions!

I’ve been running Yellowstuff pads with Pagid discs on mine for 8 years. Excellent stopping power with good bite. Only used them for fast road driving though and not track. Can highly recommend them as much better than OEM and last longer too.

1114E5C5-9A01-49BA-8646-AACF0CE96C44.jpeg

On a track day I think you need a strategy thar won't abuse your brakes. Not just pads but possibly discs and fluids as well. The CLS is a big bastard to hustle around a track - I know.
Lose speed ahead of the corner and settle the car at the turn in. Use all that torque to accelerate early through the apex and you'll have great exit speed.
Use gears as well as brakes. You don't want to be freewheeling through a bend in 5th.
I can't advise on pads but believe Brembo have a good reputation.
Have fun. Which track?

I remember the Top Gear report on the CLS55 and with JC blatting round their test track the brakes overheated within a couple of laps, big red warning on the dash! Even with the traction control 'off' the SBC is still trying to control the car through the corners..
Clarkson was just pratting around. Stig took it out and set a time between a Ferrari and an Aston without any drama. Outstanding. It's still on YouTube somewhere.

I have experience in EBC red pads, so can give a positive opinion on them. I like them because of low dusting and it's overall ability to stop. My multi spoke wheels are a nightmare to clean, so the red pads are well received and wheels stay cleaner a lot longer. Downside, pads have a lot more ceramic content, so it's a little course, hence more wear and tear on the rotors.

For frequent visits to the track the recommended pads EBC offer are yellow pads. I have no experience in yellow pads but understand they do dust a lot and only a minor handful of folks complained about brake squeal.

Both red and yellow pads are available from eurocarparts and ebay. There is a bedding period of 500 miles, its advised to apply gentle braking during this bedding period. Hope its helpful and good luck at the tracks👍

Redstuff excellent for fast road but not for track
( from EBC ) , will take about 5 laps then fail to work.

Went with yellowstuffs at the end, got a great deal on all four corners.

Ideally wanted the bluestuffs but it seems that the rears for our cars are impossible to get hold of ATM!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom