CLS55 buying advice plz!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was told non of the U.K. Dealer network had any and they would have to be ordered from AMG Germany, who also didn't have any for at least a week. It's been almost 2 weeks now just to fix the seats and a blocked breather .... Making me wait another week would have made me a very unhappy man! All things being well, it will be ready today. Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully we have some good news you whip is back on the road.. keep us updated.

I have a question people, are there any threads or links how to remove the dash trim on the CLS.

I know the back sliding compartments need the rear seats lifted.. so that's not a issue.

but need some guide for dash trim.

i wanted it Vinyl wrapped, the guy told me he can do the ashtray and gear surround without removing it, he also said on the big dash panel from the left side to the drivers heater control is easy, the remaining area to the right side is difficult to get to with his tools (steering in way and small areas).

Any help would be great so i can get it off myself and give it to them.

Last edited:
Sorry don't know specifically about the CLS but I recently took the trim off my E class. They slide to the side and then can be taken off.

A would recommend you get a set of plastic trim removal tools as I have always found them to be invaluable with such jobs.

Hopefully we have some good news you whip is back on the road.. keep us updated.

Back from repair. The oil problem is sorted. Just need a vacuum tank to sort the dynamic seats out. This is on order and will be done in a week or so. Not a big job apparently..
Good to get back behind the wheel and some V8 noise back in my life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question people, are there any threads or links how to remove the dash trim on the CLS.

I know the back sliding compartments need the rear seats lifted.. so that's not a issue.

but need some guide for dash trim.

i wanted it Vinyl wrapped, the guy told me he can do the ashtray and gear surround without removing it, he also said on the big dash panel from the left side to the drivers heater control is easy, the remaining area to the right side is difficult to get to with his tools (steering in way and small areas).

Any help would be great so i can get it off myself and give it to them.

I've wrapped mine and removed everything to do it. No way could you do any of it properly in the car so I'd look elsewhere for someone who knows what they're talking about or just do it yourself.

Use very good quality wrap rather than the cheap tat most use, 3M dinoc is usually the best choice and is thick and hard wearing. Be sure to use activator on all the edges if you want it to stay put, if you do you can trim holes properly without having to wrap a load behind, makes fit around the switch panels look factory as they are really sharp.

I was going black gloss until I saw a black on black done like that and it just looked dull. You may not like the wood but it does need contrast. I'm not a fan of black carbon in interiors and silver is just bright and tacky but 3m do what they call graphite carbon which is between the two and also has a metallic quality to it which makes it almost look like wire and really comes to life in sunshine. To me it's perfect, not dull, not shouty and has a proper factory look to it which several people who've seen it assumed i'd bought new panels.

The rear slatted compartments are fun! Only bit I had trouble removing was the passenger side air vent which you need to remove to get at one of the many screws holding the big panel on. The steering side is easy so again, I'd look elsewhere for someone to do it! You can tell how difficult that vent is by checking the listings on ebay, every one has at least one of the mountings broken off where they've just kept pulling until it broke.

Ask for specifics and I'll do my best to explain.

Just did some inspection and i know how to them all out. I might do a video if i decide to go aghead and post it on here.

Just one other thing b1g1an, how the heck did u get to the vent screw!!! I saw one off the car and that screw position is horizontal as opposed to the other which are vertical.

And it looks like you have to pull the panel forward with a bit of force to get to it.. or is there another way?

Not sure which screw you're referring to, from memory they are all easy to get at once you remove whatever bit of dash is covering them up.

You have to remove the passenger side air vent, this is the bitch, the centre air vent and the instrument cluster surround, remaining screws are accessible with just the glove box open. You really need pullers to get these bits off or you could make you own from stiff coat hangers like I did, be careful though because if you slip you could leave some nasty scars in your dash.

I would recommend taking the wheel off first to make the instrument surround easier to pull off and also manoeuvre the dash panel once it's free as it's a bit unwieldy and the brackets could easily scratch other trim if you're not careful.

You asked about the roller panels in your PM, I painted the whole thing in primer and covered it as one piece. Then scalpelled the gap between each one and finally give the cut edges a good burnishing. This is where using a good quality vinyl and the primer is especially important if the edges are going to be resilient.

Dinoc is very stiff, think thinner credit card and you won't be far off, not floppy like you'd expect vinyl to be. You need a heat gun to shape it around things but it's easy to work with. Heat it up and it goes very soft and can be stretched, when it cools down it goes back to it's original stiffness and if you reheat it will shrink back to how it was.

You mustn't forget that once you've got everything how you want it, it needs a final heat and burnishing to make it 'permanent'. Watch the professional vids on youtube and get a feel for it before you begin. Most of the failures you'll see are down to the muppet who think it's like just sticky backed plastic and apply it like that. Worth practising on something first.

I got mine from these guys in Poland, quick service and a lot cheaper than anywhere else if paying in local currency when i got mine a year ago, and they also sell the edge sealer in small quantities as a little goes a long way and it's expensive for a whole can...

Akcesoria samochodowe ? sklep motoryzacyjny GJK Styling

I used the CA420, and ordered a piece 122x100cm and 20ml of WP-3000. Don't forget how wide the dash panel is when choosing how big a bit to order, and if going carbon which way you want the stripes to run, and order enough so if you **** it up you can have another go.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom