CLS55 buying advice plz!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
looks like designo porcelain interior :)

I know its has a fine hand stiched dash with a beige suede roof lining and the floor mats had designo.

Sorry i dont know much about the interior.. all i know it looked gorgeous. Perfect combo.

I'm betting it needs a super charger cooler pump if it's
Original , both mine had them with in a month !!

How would you know that needs changing? Its been serviced by merc and last one was in jan. No expense spared.. file full of merc invoices, some over 1500quid.

The previous owner probably put the 6.3 badges on to try to impress; a bit childish, really.

It looks good, very good. If my dogs didn't insist on my having an estate, I'd have a 55K CLS; the pre-facelifts in particular just look so sleek and right.

If the rest of it was OK, I'd not worry about the seats either; I have dynamic seats in mine, and I suppose they're another toy to boast about in saloon bar Top Trumps sessions, but I wouldn't miss them, or pay extra for them. The 55k is a great engine, and really, any 55K-engined AMG is all about the engine, not the toys, otherwise you could just buy a cooking diesel...

I agree entirely about the six-month aftermarket warranty, but if something does go wrong, your normal legal rights apply for six months after the sale anyway. The dealer seems pretty well-established, so unlikely to fold overnight if the worst did happen and you were after him for money. If you can, pay at least £100 of the price on a credit card; the card issuer is then jointly liable if you have a case for a refund.

With a car of this sophistication and complexity, of this age and with this mileage, there will almost certainly be some things less than perfect, and you should expect to have to spend some money on it; if you don't have to, that will be a bonus.

If the dealer won't budge on the price, if I were you, I'd buy it, and take it straight to a good indy for a health check. That's what I did with my current S211 (two years older, and on 130K miles); it needed quite a lot doing. I split the bill, and the dealer refunded £1000 without putting up much resistance.

Thanks E55BOF for the advise, i was going to put half on credit card anyway. Most of tonight i been educating myself with the AMGs.. all i read is horror stories and im starting to think maybe its a good job i didnt buy it.

But then when i hear people like yourself who own the 55s, its all minor issues and im looking forward to buying it..im abit confussed.

I was going to book it in at Merc Bham for a health check. Didnt know about the 6months rights thing.

They are great cars and to be honest most of the issues that can occur have been highlighted in this thread. As good as cars always look when they are for sale there is always likely to be jobs that may need doing. So before purchase do a thorough check of the history and what has been recently replaced and what is due. IC pumps are common but £200 fitted, then check plugs, gearbox oil, rear axle oil etc all of which should have been done, but if not will need doing so factor this in. With the items mentioned so far you are looking at around £1k and on top of the strong price being asked, so worth checking.

I've am on my second CLS55, the first one had just about every extra. To be honest I hardly used most of these extras, so when I bought my second CLS55 optional extras were not a key consideration (for me) as it really is all about the engine and mechanical condition.

My advice would be that if you really want this CLS then offer £500-£1k below asking price. Find out how long it's been for sale as I think it may be quite a while. Bar the interior (which is nice but marmite), it's just another CLS that appears well looked after. However it's amazing what a £300 detail can do for a car of average condition. Try and find out why it has new wheels, I think this car used to be on this forum and had big 20s fitted on spacers, I could be wrong though but it appeared to be a decent example.....

Jules

Last edited:
No Distronic? The 4 zone (digital rear climate) was std on the AMG models. No mention of illuminated AMG sills? No mention of Active Curve headlamps?

Check the rear head rests fold using the dash button. Dynamic seats may be simple fix but if new pump required budget £1k for a replacement fitted (also operates the Comfort seat functions).

Also get the front suspension bushes and ball joints checked, they take a pounding and at 90k miles could well be due changing. Engine and gearbox mounts go about now as well.

Parktronic is near essential on these cars, make sure it all functions, front sensors prone to stone damage, rears due to water ingress.

Can't see clearly but check if front discs are the two-part type. If so, expensive to replace ..

Sill plates are illumiated and has the curve headlights.
I saw a receipt of the ball joints replaced by merc too.

I dont know about the discs, had about 50% on pads and i did see tiny cracks around the drilled holes.. does this mean its been bashed?

Sensors.. i dont think i recall checking them.. but i can if i go back. The rear headrest were checked.

Also how do i check if it has parktronic and how does it work?
And whats the diff between distronic and parktronic?

Distronic is the radar guided cruise control where as Parktronic is the parking sensors.

The Ebay advert does state 'adaptive cruise control' - isn't that Distronic?

If you post up the reg no or VIN, then someone could check out its datacard.

H13 roh.

I must say I have joined many forums in the past, but the advice and support im getting here is another level. Not only fast responses but also detailed one.
thanks to everyone who has participated so far.

Last edited:
From the last mot in May 2015

Advisory notice item(s)
Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
both front tyres wearing on inner edge
Under-trays fitted obscuring some underside components
Engine covers fitted obscuring some components in the engine bay
leak from rear diff

The Ebay advert does state 'adaptive cruise control' - isn't that Distronic?

If you post up the reg no or VIN, then someone could check out its datacard.

If it had Distronic it would have the plastic Merc star on the grille and the little scroll wheel beside the gear lever to adjust the following distance.

JohnBell said:
Under-trays fitted obscuring some underside components
Engine covers fitted obscuring some components in the engine bay
Advising that covers are often used to cover things - crucial stuff! :D

i seen the rear diff leak on last 5 yrs of MOT's, but because its been at Merc i would get that checked and ask why it was spotted on their checks.

the under trays i checked and they looked fine once i lifted the car to comfort level to see. engine bay all looked secure and fitted in place.

If it had Distronic it would have the plastic Merc star on the grille and the little scroll wheel beside the gear lever to adjust the following distance.

Advising that covers are often used to cover things - crucial stuff! :D

do you have a pic? its ok i seen the diff, the distronic grill has a plastic star all round.

this didnt have it.

Last edited:
A Distronic-equipped CLS will have the plastic Merc emblem like this:

uSwAnww.jpg

A regular one will just have an "open" emblem like this one:

ft6R2WN.jpg

Datacard - don't see Distronic, but pretty well specced otherwise:-

Datacard for vehicle identification number: WDD2193762A074232
Engine number ... 113990 60 053207 Front axle 1 ....
Sales des. ...... CLS 55 AMG Radio unit no. .. BE703961186743
Order number .... 0 6 537 18158 Rear axle 1 .....
Production order Rear axle 2 .....
Transmission .... 722643 06 437655 Cab .............
Vehicle title no. Platform ........
Power take-off .. VIN .............
Front tire 1 .... Trailer hitch ...
Front tire 2 .... Steering ........
Rear tire 1 ..... Equipment ....... 281A
Rear tire 2 ..... Paint/code 1 .... 197U
Order number 1 .. Paint/code 2 ....
Rims ............ Paint/code 3 ....
Lamps ........... Paint/code 4 ....
Windshield wipers Paint/code 5 ....
Order number 2 .. Door lock .......
Speed. corr. .... Steering lock ...
Transmission lock
Tank lock .......
Delivery date ...
SA code:
110 FUEL AMOUNT FOR COLLECTION BY CUSTOMER
11N STEUERCODE WERK SINDELFINGEN/GRAZ
197U OBSIDIAN BLACK
205B OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - ENGLISH
220 PARKTRONIC SYSTEM (PTS)
221B SIGN COOLANT/REFUELING - ENGLISH
241 FRONT SEAT LH ELECTRIC ADJUSTABLE WITH MEMORY
250B MOBILO LIFE/EUROPE SERVICE PACKAGE
275 MEMORY PACKAGE (DRIVER SEAT, STRG. COL., MIRROR)
280A LEATHER
281A LEATHER - BLACK/ANTHRACITE
283B AIRBAGLABLE - ENGLISH
293 SIDEBAG IN REAR LEFT AND RIGHT
301 ASHTRAY PACKAGE
386 MOBILE PRE.-INSTALLATION (MTUS)
401 FRONT SEAT CLIMATE CONTROL
414 ELECTRIC TILT/SLIDE SUNROOF IN GLASS VERSION
423 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
433 LEFT DRIVING DYNAMICS SEAT
434 RIGHT DRIVING DYNAMICS SEAT
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
475 TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR (TPM) HIGH LINE/MID LINE
489 AIRMATIC DUAL CONTROL / AIR SUSPENSION SEMI-ACTIVE
500 OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR LH AND RH FOLDING
527 COMAND DVD APS WITH NAVIGATION
537L GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
540 ROLLER BLIND, ELECTRIC, FOR REAR WINDOW
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
573 CHILD SEAT MOUNTING, ISOFIX IN REAR
581 AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL
5XXL EUROPE
600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
616 BI-XENON HEADLICHT W.ACTVIE CURVELIGHT LEFT-DRIVE
682 FIRE EXTINGUISHER
770 AMG 19" SPOKED WHEELS WITH MIXED TIRES
772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT
806 YEAR OF MODIFICATION

810 SOUND SYSTEM
819 CD CHANGER
875 HEATED SCREEN WASH SYSTEM
881 REMOTE TRUNK LOCKING
882 INTERIOR SAFEGUARD
885 HIGHTEN THEFT PROTECTION
889 KEYLESS - GO
983 COC PAPER EURO 4 TECHNOLOGY W/O REG. CERT. PART II
989 IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
F219 MODEL SERIES 219
FC COUPE
GA AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
HA REAR AXLE
M001 ENGINES WITH SUPERCHARGER
M113 V8-GASOLINE ENGINE M113
M55 CAPACITY 5,5 LITRE
R RIGHT-HAND STEERING
U18 AUTOMATIC CHILD SEAT RECOGNITATION (AKSE)
VL FRONT AXLE HALF, LEFT
VR FRONT AXLE HALF, RIGHT
W69 TRIM PIECES - PIANO LACQUER DESIGNO BLACK
X00 LEATHER, DESIGNO, UNI-COLOR
X27 LEATHER DESIGNO PORCELAIN SINGLE-COLOR
Y84 DESIGNO PEBBLE ALCANTARA FOLDING HEADLINER/HEADL.
Y94 SELECTOR LEVER IN LEATHER-/DESIGNO-WOOD VERSION

Last edited:
WOW CODGER49! didnt know you can do that form a reg.

Guys whats your think about this

Mercedes-Benz CLS 5.5 CLS55 AMG 4dr

had a good chat with him a few weeks ago (before i saw the bolton one on ebay) and he agreed a price lower then what he has it on for.

its not a top spec and has
4 stamps Merc Bristol till 2008 (9k to 37k) after that
2 stamps Merc independant Notts for one year in 2009 (52k to 63k)
3 stamps Charnwood Leicester from 2010 - 2012 (75k - 102k)
2 stamps Solo of Burton from 2013 - july 2015 (111k - 118k)

none in 2014 stamp, 01/05/2013 @ 111884 then 30/04/2015 @118k

said it has new brake discs and pads last year and has been used as a weekend car, hence the low mileage from 2012-2015.

only thing i dont like is the "too much" cream, especially the steering.

i take it same things apply in terms of checks.

Last edited:
***UPDATE***

H13 ROH is in for a check on the seats, i keep you all posted to what he says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom