cls55 engine whine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-durham

Car
2005 CLS55 AMG
hello,

The cls is developing quite a loud engine whine. Its not the normal one that last for 10 seconds when the car is cold then disappears. This is in addition to that one. I've tried to capture it in a video to demonstrate,its very loud to be fair.

I was planning on removing all the drive belts to narrow down the source of the noise

Why do I have a funny suspicion its engine oil pump or gearbox oil pump.

Untitled by chris pollin, on Flickr

Just a thought, It could be Supercharger whine? I did a oil change on my S/c you shoulda seen the state of the old oil

i guess its possible, i had the bearings go on a XJR i used to have and it sounded different to this.

Hi,
I have the same on my CLS55, I thought it could of been my power steering pump, but reading on the American forums the consensus of opinion is that it is the gearbox fluid pump and it is pretty much normal.
Though I have my doubts but have never much worried about it after I read it is such a common complaint.

Sounds exactly the same as mine...

Mine is for about 10-15 seconds from start when cold.

All I get from the Flickr links is pictures; no audio.

Where should the sound play icon appear? I have no sound after a full minute.

i just tried on my wifes phone, seems ok, i just pressed the play icon and the vol was up

That is quiet loud but i dont think its anything to worry about.

Sounds normal to me i.e. the usual oil pump and V8 rumble.

Mine is the same, noisy on cold start. Was told its normal and the engine oil pump.

Mine is the same, noisy on cold start. Was told its normal and the engine oil pump.

This is when engine is fully warmed up :+(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom