CLS55 exhaust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigrichw

Car
CLS 55
Is it me or is the exhaust note on ths car a little tame? I thought it may change in S mode, but no. I don't want to change the system just make some changes to make the V8 sound more pronounced. Any ideas on what can be done and associated costs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never thought it was much cop until I got a mate to drive past me in mine while flooring it. Trouble is, the cars so well sound proofed you don't hear it enough from inside.

From outside it already sounds amazing.

Have the centre resonator removed and its way better

Yes I agree with the sound proofing thing... Does that need the x pipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't bother with an X-Pipe, got my Indy to remove the centre resonator with 2 straight pipes and it sounds way better/deeper

Video of mine (watch it on a TV connected to a Subwoofer)

https://youtu.be/ufuqmTrKJ7s

Got other videos on my channel of my paddleshifter mods and DRLs

Exhaust modding on M113 engines is great but there can be drawbacks, be cautious of removing centre muffler, it can cause a drone at around 70mph which will annoy some people. Lots of info available on these mods on the forum, be sure to check E55K mods as this will bring you much info.

I thought the same until one day, driving past my daughter and grandchildren, I dropped 2 gears and floored it. Both children burst into tears and my daughter gave me a right telling off when she next spoke with me!! As Karl says, the car is so well insulated against outside noise one doesn't appreciate the growl :)

A neighbour complemented my the other day, saying how nicely MB has tuned the exhaust.

Have to say I like the stock note

As others have said its a different ball game from outside

As Jules states, X pipe, centre res & sec cat delete is the way to go if you want more roar. No noticeable difference when pootling around, but when you open it up, well thats another story :D
Master craftsman Imran at Torqueflow/MSL did mine, one of the best mods I have done IMO of course.

As Jules states, X pipe, centre res & sec cat delete is the way to go if you want more roar. No noticeable difference when pootling around, but when you open it up, well thats another story :D
Master craftsman Imran at Torqueflow/MSL did mine, one of the best mods I have done IMO of course.

I did the same on my E55 which is already more muted than a CLS55.
Never regretted it for a moment. Imran at MSL was responsible for my work too:thumb:

The Danger of boating over to imran means I'll clearly have to visit MSL
For a pulley and map too lol

The Danger of boating over to imran means I'll clearly have to visit MSL
For a pulley and map too lol

It's worth getting it all done in one go;

Secondary decat / X-Pipe / Replace centre resonator
77mm or 84mm pulley
New pulley belt (size depends on which pulley you go for)
Remap
Change air filters for new ones
Lowered slightly via Star
Put On the dyno to check the gains

However, start the process with MSL doing a health check, once good put it on the dyno to get base readings.

Hope that helps......:thumb:

Jules

Thanks Jules - great idea

that shopping list is a long way off at the moment - putting my money on getting it 100%

I've heard sc tensioners can be a big weak point when mapping with a new pulley - if it has any give it can seriously affect results

^ C63 rear boxes will fit but the hangers have to be cut off and re welded into a different position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom