CLS55 - Gear selector problems with pretty pictures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nat

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS55, 911t, 3dr Cosworth, MT 10.
Yesterday it went into a limp home mode. The display that usually displays the gearbox mode (as in C, M, or S) wasn't available. I couldn't move the gear position above N until I had turned it off and only then would it go back into park. I managed to get going again and it was ok. I checked the brake lights were working so possibility eliminated the brake switch?

Just been out to move it and the gear display isn't available and it made a bit of thud going into D then R. Plugged the iCar reader in and it's shown the following:

9SHBi71.jpg

PfzThGB.jpg

9W4nbdZ.jpg

UVaLJDW.jpg

yyMFHDO.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pictures and for those that may not be able to see them the codes P1856 & P240C show up with the unit part number as A2115452932. Seems to be pointing to the gear selector and not a brake light switch. I've no idea if it will drive ok to my usual go to place Prestige Car Services which is some 25/30 miles away.

Any idea how much these units cost to buy new and can they be a DIY change?

Just one small point- the fact that the brake lights are working doesn't mean that the switch isn't faulty. 2 separate circuits involved.

Reactions: Nat
I could be wrong here but would your gear selector leaver have a cable that goes from the selector lever to the ignition switch .

I don't think so.

Just one small point- the fact that the brake lights are working doesn't mean that the switch isn't faulty. 2 separate circuits involved.

That's handy to know.

I had a chat with a place yesterday and the part is £421 and all in inc VAT and labour is £631.20. Was informed it was theft related product so they will need loads of ID to order up the part. I'm starting to question why I own a car that goes nowhere 🤣

Might be worth trying a firmware update on the ESM before replacing it?

(The above is not based on any mechanic experience... but on IT :) )

Might be worth trying a firmware update on the ESM before replacing it?

(The above is not based on any mechanic experience... but on IT :) )

As it goes, that's a good suggestion. I was thinking earlier on that it has been me giving the garage the codes for them to state what it is and not knowing how reliable the scan reader is that I might look at a more local place to plug it into STAR to ensure it is the part that needs replacing and it's not something else triggering the codes. The last thing I want to do is start chasing parts and doing a trial and error case.

Does anyone know if the gear selector unit is plug and play? From what I've read so far some say yes, others say no it needs programming.

Does anyone know if the gear selector unit is plug and play? From what I've read so far some say yes, others say no it needs programming.
Might be worth a quick look on the website 7 Zap, it's a parts catalogue, but lists parts that require "flashware". (is that the same thing?)

Might be worth a quick look on the website 7 Zap, it's a parts catalogue, but lists parts that require "flashware". (is that the same thing?)

That's very handy website. Than you :thumb:

Hopefully it will be diagnosed soon. I like to keep updates in the event that someone else has the same problem it will help out.

Normally if the gear selection is missing and error codes for the selector module then is usually the selector unit and can confirm are chassis coded and theft relevant parts

I had a chat with a place yesterday and the part is £421 and all in inc VAT and labour is £631.20. Was informed it was theft related product so they will need loads of ID to order up the part. I'm starting to question why I own a car that goes nowhere 🤣
Had this issue on ours. Didn’t cost anywhere near that. Have sent you a PM.

All sorted. A new shifter fitted. Wallet a bit lighter.

How much in the end?
Preparing myself as mine has the same fault code

How much in the end?
Preparing myself as mine has the same fault code

The whole bill came to about £800 but this included a new alarm siren (it now chirps in time with the indicators :) )as the old one was draining the main battery slowly. I'm sure the part itself was £425 plus vat and fitting. I was originally told it would take up to 2 weeks to arrive from Germany although it was all done within about 3 days.

Also before you go getting it done, have a word with these guys - Mercedes CLS Gear Lever

They might be able to save you a few £'s.

Thanks for the heads up 👍
I'll have a look at that site

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom