Cls55 gearbox slips into neutral

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Terry1984

Car
CLS55 AMG
Evening all, so I picked up the cls55 today. Drove home beautifully with the occasional blip of the throttle. On returning home it had been raining the roads were still wet, I put it in sport mode foot to the floor, spun the rear wheels accelerated hard then the car went into neutral and wouldn’t go back into gear until I turned the car off and on again. I thought better of trying anymore heavy footed action for the last few miles home but it did it again twice for the last few miles home. Also seemed to be stuck in 3rd gear until I selected manual mode. Any help would be great.

You will need to get the car scanned to see if it has any TCU related error codes.

Did you buy the car private or from a garage? If from garage, you will have a warranty that should cover the costs.

When was the transmission last serviced?

1st of all try not to panic, The 722.6 is a very strong box and a very serviceable unit, I know ive had the innards out of mine :D

As suggested get the codes read but my money is the Conductor plate.

What year is the cls?

You will need to get the car scanned to see if it has any TCU related error codes.

Did you buy the car private or from a garage? If from garage, you will have a warranty that should cover the costs.

When was the transmission last serviced?
Was a private sale. I believe it had a fluid change in 2017.

1st of all try not to panic, The 722.6 is a very strong box and a very serviceable unit, I know ive had the innards out of mine :D

As suggested get the codes read but my money is the Conductor plate.

What year is the cls?

Panic was my first thought and still now lol. It’s a 2005. I will get the codes read ASAP. Would it have not shown a fault on the onboard screen?

Panic was my first thought and still now lol. It’s a 2005. I will get the codes read ASAP. Would it have not shown a fault on the onboard screen?

No Terry, if it is a TCU fault, the it will not show up on the dash. As indicated by merc85, it is most likely an issue with the conductor plate. I believe these can be repaired.

There is a list of recommended Indy garages on the site.

Sounds similar to what my brother’s CLK was experiencing after purchasing. It was a case of checking the gearbox oil level (it was low). Also, we spotted the pilot bush was leaking, so it was replaced and the gearbox oil topped up. No further slips into neutral.

Sounds similar to what my brother’s CLK was experiencing after purchasing. It was a case of checking the gearbox oil level (it was low). The pilot bush was leaking, so it was replaced and the gearbox oil topped up. No further slips into neutral.
Hopefully I have a similar issue, and nothing to costly. Thanks for your reply.

I had this recently. I needed a new sensor unit on the gearbox. but as my 722.6 was an early iteration, it wasn't available separate from the valve body and I had to order the entire thing which cost an arm and a leg.

Will be your traction control ecu, i had this exact problem...
Guys
Always take into account that the 722 transmission aka NAG1 has NO output sensor on the transmission output drive shaft. (Unlike other brands )
MB and Jaguar using that MB sub system employs the rear wheel speed sensor (usually the right rear) wheel speed sensors to determine basic shift points.
I like it because with a scanner in live data you can "see" all the the speed function when looking into the transmission & ABS traction controls to pinpoint the fault .
Chris-Durham pointed you folks in the right direction, and its not yer HT leads 👍 :D OK !
Tuercas viejas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom