CLS55 Louder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V8 CLS

Car
CLS 55 AMG
Had X-Pipe installed but car doesnt seem loud enough, especially when revving in neutral (don't do this much but you know what I mean :D)

Any other suggestions? Ideally want to keep primary cats. Whats best option?

Secondary cat removal and resonator removal will give a decent noise increase.

Stand outside and let someone else rev it. It will be loud already except it's so well insulated you can't hear it that much.

Its a lot louder than you think on the outside

I take it the Xpipe replaced your secondary cats, like I did?

Yup, had them removed - - I'll try that. Thanks, must admit in tunnels and under load it's quite loud.

Ok, car sounds loud enough. You don't get to hear the bark from inside, outside you hear it purr even when at idle. Perfect.

Thanks all!

No

It can replace the resonator but is better placed to replace the secondary cats.......

For some reason I thought that the resonator is already an x or h pipe in its own right? What is having both better for exactly?

The resonator silences the exhaust, so removing it alone for straight pipes gives a decent increase in noise. Couple its removal with secondary cat delete (normally for an X-pipe) then this will give a very noticeable increase in noise.

If you do a search on decats / exhausts / X-pipes you'll find the answers to most questions you may have.

Jules

The resonator silences the exhaust, so removing it alone for straight pipes gives a decent increase in noise. Couple its removal with secondary cat delete (normally for an X-pipe) then this will give a very noticeable increase in noise.

If you do a search on decats / exhausts / X-pipes you'll find the answers to most questions you may have.

Jules

You see, this is not how I know this to work. Resonator, as the name suggests, is for cancelling the drone. What silences the exhaust is back boxes.

One either replaces the resonator with an X or H pipe but if left in place with additional X pipe it will lead to the whole exhaust being out of tune.

What's even worse is adding a smaller diameter X or H pipe as it will introduce a restriction.

But happy to be re-educated if there's some scientific backup available...

You see, this is not how I know this to work. Resonator, as the name suggests, is for cancelling the drone. What silences the exhaust is back boxes.

One either replaces the resonator with an X or H pipe but if left in place with additional X pipe it will lead to the whole exhaust being out of tune.

What's even worse is adding a smaller diameter X or H pipe as it will introduce a restriction.

But happy to be re-educated if there's some scientific backup available...

They effectively have an H pipe up by the secondary cats, it's if you remove them you really do need an H or X added.

I had my primary cats removed and resonator deleted. It has the perfect raw v8 sound now. No drone on motorways, just a loud v8 scream when you put your foot down. Also still passes mot as secondary cats are still in place. I couldnt be more happier.

c63 rear boxes will make it a little louder

They effectively have an H pipe up by the secondary cats, it's if you remove them you really do need an H or X added.

The joiner before secondary cats is a Mercedes thing. BMWs don't have it. Both come with a resonator where pipes join. When you remove it you need a x/h pipe.

The joiner before secondary cats is a Mercedes thing. BMWs don't have it. Both come with a resonator where pipes join. When you remove it you need a x/h pipe.

What...we're talking CLS55s here and mine's definitely a Mercedes, don't know about yours. They have what is effectively an H pipe at the secondary cats so if you just remove the resonator you can use straight pipes with no issues. You can't remove the secondary cats without losing the crossover though so in that instance you'll need to add one.

Been discussed on here many times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom