CLS55 & MO tires

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayger

Car
Hopefully a CLS55
Afternoon all!

CLS55s and tires...

Do the CLS' NEED to have MO approved tires? The cost isn't an issue, it just seems to be more restrictive on what tires are available with the markings. The tires on it are 285/35/18 (not standard CLS wheels but they are AMG)

Also, does anyone know what wheels these are??

be4b58d803efed6752b6e5e4a6158b86.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those look like the 18 inch multi spoke alloys - but what do you mean when you say what wheels? Do you mean tyres? If so, all the details are on the sidewall.
No they don't need MO tyres but need appropriate load and side wall rating.

Technically they should be MO1 for an AMG but I can't say I'm convinced of the need. Seems to be tyres that we're available when the car was made e.g. For my SL PS2s are MO but not later ones. Fitted Goodyear F1s non MO tyres and they are working fine. Can't see why an CLS would be different?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Round black ones would be your best option ;)
Wouldn't worry about the MO spec ones, just buy a brand you are happy with, be it budget, mid range or premium.

You don't need MO, or as already posted, more correctly, MO1 tyres but as I've never found any price hike for the MO(1) tyres why not?

I've never found MO* tyres to be much more expensive either.

In fact sometimes they were cheaper!

I do like the idea if the tyres having the MO mark, and I did buy MO tyres in the past.

But the main issue I find with MO tyres these days is that bizarrely there are no new entries to the MO tyre list. It seems to be frozen in time somewhere around 2010.

So the dilemma is often wheher to buy an older model that will be available as MO, or buy a newer model which eill not.

Does tyre technology really change the performance that much over the few years? Is one driving on public roads in such a manner that extracts that last percentage of performance?

Does tyre technology really change the performance that much over the few years? Is one driving on public roads in such a manner that extracts that last percentage of performance?

Possibly not, but to be honest the main drive behind having the MO tyres is because it makes you feel nice... and the same with buying the 'latest' model of tyre. No the car won't go or corner any faster... and it will only be safer when slaloming on oil with water sprinklers on both sides... but the knowledge that the car parked outside your house is booted with 'road hogger super-sport maxitech' tyres makes you sleep better at night :D

CLS55 & MO tires

I've had a few different brand of tyres over the years but I'll always go for michelins where possible... they seem to be the best gripping in the wet (which we get a lot of) and also last for a fair few miles before needing replacing

The pattern will be different a little to the same non MO model but unless you wear MB (MO) underpants, any other tyre will work, including Audi or Porsche homologated for example.

I've never seen any difference in tread patterns between MO tyres and non MO tyres of the same make/model.

Agree, any tyre, of the correct speed and load rating, will work fine..

My preference was for Michelin and I actively sort out MO1 tyres for my CLS55

Below is a summary of the current (and as yet unsubstantiated) differences between MO and non-MO tyres:

MO tyres have harder compound, stiffer sidewalls etc.

MO tyres have slightly different tread pattern.

MO tyres are made to tighter tolerances thus have identical coloured rings and identical balance centre.

OR:

MO tyres are 100% identical to non-MO tyres.

I think this about sums it up? :D

MO tyres are made to tighter tolerances thus have identical coloured rings and identical balance centre.

This is what I was told by the Michelin tyre R&D guys when I was their guess at Le Mans a few years back.

Well, close to what I was told, actually MO tyres (from Michelin at least) are manufactured exactly the same as other tyres but when tested tyres that comply with a much stricter quality control tolerance receive the MO status.

When I asked about MO tyres I was told the tyre side wall text is toned down, i.e. the words Michelin is slightly razed compared to MO tyres.
I have them fitted, the same tyres all round Latitude sports, the rears are MO and you have to get close to see the text and the fronts are razed you can read from standing up.

To OP, is that the car from Farnham Royal, Slough?

If it is, I would be very careful, he's had budgets on it and also apparently there was £3,500 recently spent on it with Eurocharged but there are no receipts, also the guy isn't sure if it's mapped or not or who by. Just a few things to think about, bar that - it sounds phenomenal.

Also the fronts should be a smaller tyre, 255/40/18

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom