CLS55 or SL55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oli

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro
I've decided the W204 isn't really for me and I miss the power of a V8 Kompressor so going to change for either a CLS 55 or SL 55.

The pros of the SL would be that it's a convertible but the cons are obviously it only has 2 seats.

The CLS would be newer.
My budget is about £16k.

Which of the two would you go for?, I have to admit I'm slightly worried by the horror stories of things going wrong on the SL, whereas the CLS would be similar to my old E Class more?- apart from Airmatic no major scare stories, obviously check it has had its brake fluid changed,gearbox oil etc.

Does anyone know what the intervals are for the gearbox, brake fluid and spark plugs as I want to check the service history thoroughly.

Also what the cost of doing these items are?.

The only other thing that would be a bit of a step backwards is the lack of Bluetooth and iPod connectivity built into the Comand, can anyone reccomend the best solution for them with the older Comand units?.

Try finding a decent CLS55 first - there aren't many about. Plenty of SL55s to choose from.

I did find a lovely Black/Black one but sadly was sold before I sold the oil burner :(.

I do really like the idea of an SL, I'm just slightly put off by horror stories of ABC issues and water ingress+dodgy roofs.

Most have had the issues addressed - certainly enough of them about to only consider one that has.

Is the ABC issue a re occuring one?, to tell the truth I'm more worried about that than the roof.

SL for me all day long, if two seats and zero storage works for you.

It can't be any more impractical than the TVR I used to have, hopefully a bit more reliable though :D.

One thing about some of the CLS 55s for sale, why oh why would someone order one with a beige interior:doh:, there are a couple I would have been really interested in but couldn't live with sitting in seats that remind me of baby sick.

Look at the sl portiacraft have for sale , it looks in good nick.

Look at the sl portiacraft have for sale , it looks in good nick.

You're not wrong, that looks lovely!!.

Am I right in thinking the SL is slightly less muted than the E/CLS 55?.

Yes definitely hard to find good one's, but given your predicament search for both and when you find "the one", buy it.

What TVR did you have? I had a couple of Cerbs a while back and still miss them, especially the 4.5.

Good luck,

Jules

No. Of the three I'd say the CLS is the throatiest. The SL then the E

Yes definitely hard to find good one's, but given your predicament search for both and when you find "the one", buy it.

What TVR did you have? I had a couple of Cerbs a while back and still miss them, especially the 4.5.

Good luck,

Jules

I had a Griff first then a Tuscan, both great cars when they worked.
The Cerb 4.5 is a monster though, still in the supercar bracket performance wise over 10 years on:thumb:.

I always thought the CLS was essentially the same as the E setup wise, so assumed they would have the more muted exhaust note that the E does, good to know that's not the case.

I had a Griff first then a Tuscan, both great cars when they worked.
The Cerb 4.5 is a monster though, still in the supercar bracket performance wise over 10 years on:thumb:.

I always thought the CLS was essentially the same as the E setup wise, so assumed they would have the more muted exhaust note that the E does, good to know that's not the case.

Yes it is, it was virtually trouble free and most of the money spent was on improvements. Cracking car.

CLS is definitely more throaty. I was at the Eurocharged Day on Saturday and it was mentioned that my car was more had a deeper, louder note than an E with the same exhaust mods. It was mentioned that the CLS back boxes are slightly different with less baffles....

Jules.

Personally I would opt for the SL55 because that's because I think it is a nicer looking car than the CLS.

The SL is really nice, the only things that put me off are the added potential for disaster with the ABC and roof, but I guess going through the invoices and finding one that has had everything done already would take off some of that risk.

The CLS is a very good looking car too and has the benifit of being a bit newer than the SLs in my price range, I'm gutted the Black/Black one that was up for £15k sold, that was my ideal car!!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom