Cls55 ownership

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew W

Car
Vw caddy
So in 2 months of my cls ownership I've had to
Have
A new battery
New S/C cooling pump (to be fitted )
New parking sensors x4 (to be fitted)
New rear air shocks x2 ( to be fitted )
4x continental 5ps fitted .
Phew ;)

Blimey! Fantastic car, I'm sure it will be worth it.

A month into the ownership of mine, the break pump went, thankfully the dealer and MB paid for the costs, 2.5K I think!

A month into the ownership of mine, the break pump went, thankfully the dealer and MB paid for the costs, 2.5K I think!

Was the SBC pump replaced under warranty Chris. This isn't the normal scenario.
For the (MB) dealer to replace this, an impeccable full MB service history and a huge amount of luck was needed for MB to even make a contribution.

If MB charged £2.5k for a new pump, that is a massive overcharge. The pump can be obtained for around £630 and a couple of hours labour! That's MB dealerships for you :fail

Have
A new battery
Phew ;)

Ouch!

In my first couple of months I had the crank main bearing #1 issue (OM462 engine) and a Conti also - No air suspension but do have a creaking ball joint to change........Pretty good since then otherwise....touch wood.

Have
A new battery
Phew ;)

Hi Andrew,

Why did you need to change battery? I am sure price of these items were negotiated in the price? I have spent over 2K on mine in just over a years ownership.

New S/C PUMP
New Airmatic compressor
New Engine mounts X 2
New Gearbox mount
New brake disc and pads (front)
New front tyres (Pirelli)
Service
ATF change
Front Lower control arms
Airmatic leak fixed
Thermostat

Mine's an E55 but many of the same jobs done in 5 months of ownership

Hi Andrew,

Why did you need to change battery? I am sure price of these items were negotiated in the price? I have spent over 2K on mine in just over a years ownership.

New S/C PUMP - Yep
New Airmatic compressor - No
New Engine mounts X 2 - Yep
New Gearbox mount - Yep
New brake disc and pads (front) - No
New front tyres (Pirelli) - No
Service - Not yet
ATF change - No
Front Lower control arms - Yep
Airmatic leak fixed - Being done Friday
Thermostat

I also treated the car to a Eurocharged remap which I can highly recommend. Quafie next

Sounds expensive. I've had my CLS63 a few months now but only managed about 500 miles so can't really comment on reliability. Hoping with the mileage on it that things shouldn't be too worn but it's a 2007 so things do perish.

Out of interest, why the four parking sensors? Do they fail?

Sounds expensive. I've had my CLS63 a few months now but only managed about 500 miles so can't really comment on reliability. Hoping with the mileage on it that things shouldn't be too worn but it's a 2007 so things do perish.

Out of interest, why the four parking sensors? Do they fail?

My sensors are knackered too but I just leave them switched off!

in the over 5.5 years and 48k miles that I have had my CLS55, I have truly been impressed by how little has gone wrong outside of wear and tear and consummables (tyres, main battery, brake discs/pads, spark plugs, oil (engine, gearbox, differential), filters (air, cabin, oil), etc).

in addition to having 2 front parking sensors replaced, I have had the rocker cover gasket resealed, the off side camshaft gasket and breather seal replaced and front lower ball joints (sort of qualifies as a consummable in my mind) replaced

that's it!

the only light bulbs I have replaced are front side lights for LED ones.

AC is still ice cold, and has never been re-gassed.

Maybe more things will go wrong as it approaches 60k miles (now at 58k miles) and beyond ..

It really is the best high performance car I have ever had at a remarkably low cost.

Truly fabulous machine, and irreplaceable.

in the over 5.5 years and 48k miles that I have had my CLS55, I have truly been impressed by how little has gone wrong outside of wear and tear and consummables (tyres, main battery, brake discs/pads, spark plugs, oil (engine, gearbox, differential), filters (air, cabin, oil), etc).

in addition to having 2 front parking sensors replaced, I have had the rocker cover gasket resealed, the off side camshaft gasket and breather seal replaced and front lower ball joints (sort of qualifies as a consummable in my mind) replaced

that's it!

the only light bulbs I have replaced are front side lights for LED ones.

AC is still ice cold, and has never been re-gassed.

Maybe more things will go wrong as it approaches 60k miles (now at 58k miles) and beyond ..

It really is the best high performance car I have ever had at a remarkably low cost.

Truly fabulous machine, and irreplaceable.

Mine is on 111K now so its expected for few bits to be changed. i agree, Best car for value and looks and useability!!

Great to hear these things last so well, 111k isn't high by modern standards but sounds like they're built to last!

Hopefully I'll still have mine in years to come and it won't be causing me too much grief haha.

My sensors are knackered too but I just leave them switched off!

Fortunately mine are still working but having gone from a hatch back to a CLS I find them very very useful! :)

I bought my car @ 103K and its done last 8K with no issues and i would say you still cannot tell this is 10year old car with 100K on the clock!!

They are perfect modern classic cars to keep for years to come :)

They are perfect modern classic cars to keep for years to come :)

They have certainly aged extremely well! Hopefully become a modern classic. I'm new to ownership so I'd love to think I'd bought into that.

Amo said:
Hi Andrew, Why did you need to change battery? I am sure price of these items were negotiated in the price? I have spent over 2K on mine in just over a years ownership. New S/C PUMP New Airmatic compressor New Engine mounts X 2 New Gearbox mount New brake disc and pads (front) New front tyres (Pirelli) Service ATF change Front Lower control arms Airmatic leak fixed Thermostat
My battery started to give up after a few weeks
of ownership , I got one trade for £95 so not to bad . My air springs were fine in the end I just
had a pesky little leak which I eventually cured .
Just need to sort parking sensors now then
Maybe a wheel referb .

I've owned my cls 55amg now for about 3 years....what a car..love it. I've had alternator problems but we're sorted out and that's about it regarding things going wrong. I replaced the is pump and have kept the car oem. The mileage when bought was 32k and now it's on 57k. Definitely a keeper for a good few years :)

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Just over 4 years of ownership:
Full Engine rebuild
IC Pump
Brakes front and rear
Front hubs
Alternator
Passenger window mechanism
Quaife Diff
Remap
Split cooling
Updated interior trim
Front ARB bushes
Dynamic seat pump

I dont want to temp fate saying that I have had no major issues since I bought mine, so I wont ;)

Just over 4 years of ownership:
Full Engine rebuild
IC Pump
Brakes front and rear
Front hubs
Alternator
Passenger window mechanism
Quaife Diff
Remap
Split cooling
Updated interior trim
Front ARB bushes
Dynamic seat pump

Now that is a list. I would bet that she runs well now though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom