CLS55 Spare Wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

triumphboy

Car
CLS55 AMG
Hi all. Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question...!
My 55 didn't have a spare wheel when I bought it, so I have just purchased a space saver spare. Now the manual says it fits in the boot underneath the luggage compartment, but the battery is located in a different place in my car and is in the way to fit it in the position shown in the manual.
Can anyone shed some light on where/how it's supposed to fit please?

Attachments

• IMG_2839 (1).jpg
    IMG_2839 (1).jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 29
Is your car Performance Pack car? Mine didn't have room for a spare, I think it was because of the LSD.

Mine wasn't a PP car and nor did the space saver (which I also bought separately) fit where you are trying to put it. The 55 comes with the bottle of gunk and compressor instead of the spare hence no room for the spare.
I left mine just on the boot floor, yes not an elegant solution, but the only option if you want a spare!

Interesting. Mine had a fully functional spare wheel well until I filled it with Amplifiers. Doesn't look like the OP' s at all.

It does not have a spare and the normal 219 cls space saver won't fit the 55 as it won't clear the front calipers.don't know if it will fit on the rear but I doubt it. I know all this because I did the same thing. my spacesaver is on eBay if any ordinary cls owners want one. It's back to the repair can I guess.

Interesting. Mine had a fully functional spare wheel well until I filled it with Amplifiers. Doesn't look like the OP' s at all.
Interesting, where was your battery installed?

That space saver will not fit your car. The brakes are too big. The manual states it fits in the boot for a non AMG car.

Ok thank you all for the info. Is there another solution other than carrying tyre repair foam? I actually had a puncture last week and ruined what would have otherwise been a perfectly repairable rear tyre with loads of life left by using foam (had no choice though to get me out of trouble).

You could check to see if a collapsible spare wheel is available for your car.

E.g.:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The smaller diameter when collapsed might just allow it to fit in the spare wheel well alongside the battery.

Cars that had the space saver option ticked then the battery is actually relocated to the side, on the right. Then it allows room for the space saver to fit, also the outer plastic tray is removed.

Examples on a E55: e55 spare tire - Google Search

Last edited:
All W219 '55s had centre located battery for better weight distribution apparently.

You could check to see if a collapsible spare wheel is available for your car.

E.g.:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The smaller diameter when collapsed might just allow it to fit in the spare wheel well alongside the battery.

Thanks this looks potentially ideal, but I can't find anything online as to where such a thing can actually be bought. Anyone know anywhere?

Not sure if anyone else has encountered this problem. I have the space saver alloy wheel and collapsible type tyre, to inflate this you are provided with a small 12v compressor which you plug into the 12v socket, problem is the pump doesn't have the punch to actually inflate the tyre, my large garage compressor inflates it no problem. Last time I hit a pothole, on our well maintained roads, I had to drive on the punctured wheel to the nearest farm who luckily had a suitable compressor. In my opinion, yes you'll have a spare wheel, but you won't be able to use it unless you carry it around already inflated, in which case it won't fit in the spare wheel well. I thought maybe if it was inflated for the first time using a full size compressor, then deflated, that the 12v pump might manage, no it didn't. This is my experience but I'd be interested to learn if anyone else can inflate their space saver tyre with the Mercedes 12v pump supplied.

Not sure if anyone else has encountered this problem. I have the space saver alloy wheel and collapsible type tyre, to inflate this you are provided with a small 12v compressor which you plug into the 12v socket, problem is the pump doesn't have the punch to actually inflate the tyre, my large garage compressor inflates it no problem. Last time I hit a pothole, on our well maintained roads, I had to drive on the punctured wheel to the nearest farm who luckily had a suitable compressor. In my opinion, yes you'll have a spare wheel, but you won't be able to use it unless you carry it around already inflated, in which case it won't fit in the spare wheel well. I thought maybe if it was inflated for the first time using a full size compressor, then deflated, that the 12v pump might manage, no it didn't. This is my experience but I'd be interested to learn if anyone else can inflate their space saver tyre with the Mercedes 12v pump supplied.

Faulty 12v pump I'd imagine

Sorry, but you're wrong, tried more than one Merecedes pump, and a ford pump too, none of them have the punch required to inflate the tyre during it's initial stage of inflation, which requires the crease in the tyre to "pop" out, after that has happened, yes the 12v thing will slowly inflate to 36psi.

Thank for the ideas, much appreciated, I'll have a look at that pump. It's nearly impossible to put a full size wheel and tyre in the boot of the SL, so I'm thinking a trailer might be a good idea, could keep a full size spare in it, along with a compressor and generator just in case, and have somewhere to put the punctured wheel that comes off.

Joking aside, I was only trying to highlight the problems that I've encountered for the benefit of others, before they make a choice. The pump supplied by Mercedes is pretty much identical, with exception to the paper label and logo, that lots of other car manufacturers provide for use with the tin of puncture repair fluid, but it won't blow up the space saver collapsible tyre, and I doubt anyone at Mercedes has ever tried it. In summary Triumphboy, if you want to use a space saver type wheel best buy a decent pump too, such as the one mentioned above Sorry for taking over your post.

Mb wouldn't issue it if it wasn't upto the job. The fault is likely your pump, or the socket in question.

Okay, whatever you say, thank you for that information, very much appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom