CLS55 -- to mod or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
the recent Eurocharged thread has really got me thinking ..

Things I would like to improve on my CLS55:

1. more responsive engine and transmission. There is a very slight lag when I want acceleration now. It's not something that bothers me much, it's more that I notice it when I stamp on the throttle .. there's a very brief "are you sure sort of glance" before it gets on with it.

I guess I want the engine to be a bit more ready to go, like my GT3 is. I know it's a lot to ask.

2. more power, say about 50hp. I really don't do VMAXs et al, so am not wanting loads more power. However, after 3 nearly years and 23k miles of 478hp, I very ocassionally think a bit more thrust and push in the back would be cool. I reckon that 530hp should be plenty.

Things that are important in respect of any mods:

A. I want mods that do not materially threaten or diminish the longevity or the reliability of the 55K engine and/or the transmission.

B. mods must be by well respected folks with top notch reputation, and widely and highly regarded by those with 55K engine mods.

C. not a fan of replacing OEM components unless new ones are proven to be better and just as durable.

D. cost is a consideration: I don't want to spend too much on a car that is not an appreciating classic. Having said that, I am happy to pay for quality and reliability.

Insurance wise, I don't want my mods to be so special and/or clever, so that it takes ages to explain the mods to my insurer -- I want as few insurers as possible to be put off insuring my car.

Thoughts and comments much appreciated.

A basic remap should get you the power you want. Obviously you can go the new pulley route if you want an extra 100bhp+.

The Eurocharged deal is an absolute stonker, and they have an exceptional reputation.

But if your car was mine then I would have some Renntech tweakery, link below:

http://www.renntechmercedes.com/www/catalog/150

Yours is an exceptional specification so I'd make some exceptional modifications. Many mods will make a car more difficult to sell, whereas Renntech will stand out from the crowd in a positive way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom