CLS55 vs SL55 Advice or Opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockits

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 E55K Estate; 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE;2004 E500 Estate;2005 Alfa GT V6;306GTi-6;206 GTi 180
Well it looks like my search for an R129 SL60 AMG is nearing its end as not been able to find anything other than silly price stuff. I'm not going to pay 30-50k for one as although rare are not worth that to me. They are a modded SL500 at the end of the day and not thatuch better. Certainly not 15-35k better.

I'm thinking of selling the very nice 1999 SL500 I have & buying an AMG instead. Missing having an AMG around so it seems an SL55 or CLS55 are the obvious options.

They are similar pricing give or take. My SL500 was always a stop gap to get back into an SL60 so I'm looking to get something a little step up from the SL500. Ideally a similar priced car/swap level would be good but I could/would add some cash in top of needed. I did think maybe an SL600 or SL63 or SL65 but I can't really justify spending that much as have too much tied up in cars & luckily have some nice other cars anyway.

Any thoughts, opinions or experiences as to what people think is the better car or option?

Apples and pears. They are two different animals. The SL is a two seat roadster, the CLS a four seat, four door coupe.

What do you want from the car? Apart from the AMG badge?

Two really different cars in reality. The CLS, a true 4 seater with air suspension v the SL55 and a 2 seater with ABC. Both quick cars so it whether you need the practicality of a 4 door 4 seater really.
I would choose the CLS every day of the week if only to avoid that ABC suspension and the water ingress issues that seem to affect many R230's

Two really different cars in reality. The CLS, a true 4 seater with air suspension v the SL55 and a 2 seater with ABC. Both quick cars so it whether you need the practicality of a 4 door 4 seater really.
I would choose the CLS every day of the week if only to avoid that ABC suspension and the water ingress issues that seem to affect many R230's

The CLS also looks much meaner IMO

Apples and pears. They are two different animals. The SL is a two seat roadster, the CLS a four seat, four door coupe.

What do you want from the car? Apart from the AMG badge?
Sure, I realise they are very different bodies but it is not an issue or reason for me to choose one over the other. I am not looking for a 2 dearer a 4 seater or a convertible or a saloon per se. It is just a car for me to drive & these two seemed to be the obvious choices. With the same engine & I suspect gearbox half the car is the same. Just was looking for any opinions or anyone that has had either or both that preferred one over the other.

It isn't going to have a very specific use or requirement to carry stuff or people or anything. Just looking for a nice AMG again to enjoy.

The CLS is likely to have fewer expensive problems. As said above the AIRmatic is more reliable and cheaper to repair than the ABC used in the SL.

The CLS has no water ingress issues, unlike the SL

You've experienced what the SL, as a car can offer, so perhaps time for the CLS coupe, the "thug in a silk dressing gown". I absolutely loved mine :thumb:

The CLS is likely to have fewer expensive problems. As said above the AIRmatic is more reliable and cheaper to repair than the ABC used in the SL.

The CLS has no water ingress issues, unlike the SL

You've experienced what the SL, as a car can offer, so perhaps time for the CLS coupe, the "thug in a silk dressing gown". I absolutely loved mine :thumb:

Thanks. I'm was leaning more towards the CLS55 initially so it seems this is the more obvious direction to take.

I had made an offer an a forum members example a short while ago but the price was too low for him to accept.

I have a 2007 Quattroporte Exec GT which is very similar in category but I'm sure a very different drive. I would like to run both and either keep both or one may be sold at some point.

I think this is half my issue with the R129 SL500 that I have. It is a lovely car and a real nice example but I do less miles and journeys now. Also I don't tend to favour a convertible much or use the roof down experience much so seems little point in having that option.

Also I don't tend to favour a convertible much or use the roof down experience much so seems little point in having that option.

And there in lies your answer. A CLS 55 it is :bannana:

And there in lies your answer. A CLS 55 it is :bannana:

Thanks. Would you agree the CLS55 is a better option than an E60 M5 or an M6? All can be had for there or thereabouts similar money.

Any other contenders I am missing and should be looking at?

Personally I would take the CLS over the E60 M5/6 as it just feels more 'special' and I would definitely say more comfortable, not to mention much more pleasing to the eye. IMO of course. ;)

(Scratch head) But what do you want it for?

Pedantic I know, but what do you want it for ?

How many miles / how many occasions / just you driving / what passengers / what kind of terrain?

As you say, if you don't put the roof down then, like me, there's little point in owning a convertible, except that it's pretty and lighter and more manoeuvrable than the CLS which is more like a low slung (and six inch longer) E Class.

But what do you want to use it for? Will anyone sit in those claustrophobic back seats?

I'm wondering why you don't find the CL attractive ?

2008-mercedes-benz-cl63-amg-photo-94674-s-450x274.jpg

Last edited:
Pedantic I know, but what do you want it for ?

How many miles / how many occasions / just you driving / what passengers / what kind of terrain?

As you say, if you don't put the roof down then, like me, there's little point in owning a convertible, except that it's pretty and lighter and more manoeuvrable than the CLS which is more like a low slung (and six inch longer) E Class.

But what do you want to use it for? Will anyone sit in those claustrophobic back seats?

I'm wondering why you don't find the CL attractive ?

2008-mercedes-benz-cl63-amg-photo-94674-s-450x274.jpg

It won't do many miles. Maybe 2k per year. Often just me driving.

No specific use just to get from A>B maybe the occasional drive for no reason. I would prefer something smaller but not sure there is much around that £10-£20k price level ideally £15k.

I have a TVR itch and had a 987 Boxster S that is an option and 911's seem in that ballpark as well. Just fancy an interesting car to replace the SL500. Seems silly to carry a load of weight and size/bulk around with the CLS55 but there isn't a smaller option really is there that is a nice AMG?

I did think maybe an SL600 or SL63 or SL65 but I can't really justify spending that much as have too much tied up in cars & luckily have some nice other cars anyway.

Any thoughts, opinions or experiences as to what people think is the better car or option?

The SL600 is within your price bracket and very different to the 55 platform, although rare with only 125 ish cars in the UK.

The 55 always felt like it was itching to get going if you know what i mean with that instant low down torque , the V12 however is just endless and produces a nervous giggle at the rush of the speedo needle and always feels effortless.

And its a sleeper more so than the 55

The SL600 is within your price bracket and very different to the 55 platform, although rare with only 125 ish cars in the UK.

The 55 always felt like it was itching to get going if you know what i mean with that instant low down torque , the V12 however is just endless and produces a nervous giggle at the rush of the speedo needle and always feels effortless.

And its a sleeper more so than the 55

Thanks. Is the SL600 the best and most viable option to get into the V12 do you think? Certainly is rare.

I think its excellent value for money, especially when you know that the 600 had to be tuned down so as not to interfere with the then new partnership with AMG at that time early 2002/3.

A simple remap unleashes lots more BHP and torque bringing it up close to a standard 65.

I think its excellent value for money, especially when you know that the 600 had to be tuned down so as not to interfere with the then new partnership with AMG at that time early 2002/3.

A simple remap unleashes lots more BHP and torque bringing it up close to a standard 65.

Sounds good in theory....and sounds like a dark and ruinous path for my back pocket ;) You only live once right!

I have pretty much owned most types of cars and engines/boxes but never a V12. I always thought it may be an Aston but I am not financially well enough for that yet. I never had an Alfa or a Busso until last year and have ticked that box.

Maybe the SL600 is the way forward. I will investigate. Is that what you have? What year do you have? Any pics?

Very nice....a real sleeper. Very much under most people's radar's. That is why I liked & got the 4200.

I think I will look to sell the SL500 first and then leave the cash there ready to see what the market pops up for sale. Seems to make sense.

SL600 sounds sensible but...

The suggestion of a 2003 SL600 sounds very sensible.

ginger55k-albums-sl600-picture10819-sl600.jpg

But, given that it's only going to do 2,000 miles a year, and you're not that bothered about having a convertible, are you SURE you're not hankering for something a bit outrageous, with guaranteed unreliability?

tvr__cerbera_4_2_1997_3_lgw.jpg

Cerbera prices have gone up as well so no longer a bargain IMO.

I've owned R129 SL500s, a TVR Cerbera, a Maserati 4200GT and a CLS55 amongst many other cars. For the money the CLS was the most rounded car there. It wasn't without faults - dodgy parking sensors, creaky seats, failed supercharger coolant pump and crashy ride on B-roads even with Airmatic on 19" wheels. The AMG V8 was worth it though - finding an unmolested one is quite hard mind you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom