CLS55 vs SL55 Advice or Opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting. I have a 4200 already & that is staying for sure as it is silly nice & as new. The SL600 is an option but hardly any for sale even now.

The TVR is definitely an option but thinking Chimaera 450 or 500 or Tuscan. Saw a nice Griffith 500 that was low miles & owners & not silly money.

My vote goes to the SL for the driving pleasure a convertible brings but failing that what about a CLK63?

Funny you should say CLK63 as saw one today advertised but sure it was 20k.

It's a tough one as they are very different cars but both awesome in their own right.

I have the CLS63 and my Mrs currently has an SL350. The CLS is an event to drive because of the sheer pace of the thing, I can only imagine the 55 is just as awesome.

The SL is an event because of how it looks and on the right day, even the SL350 is a lovely thing to be in. I can imagine with nearly 500bhp it's really something.

What would put me off the SL is it's fragility I guess. We've not experienced major issues with the SL but in the back of your mind you know it's immensely complex and that's without the AMG badge.

If you want something that is for a sunny day, that looks amazing and is just for you and a passenger. The SL55 gets my vote. If you want something that's perhaps a little more useable, just as good looking and a beast then it's the CLS55!

Just my little 2p's worth, unless you get a later SL55 the interior & switchgear is very dated which spoils an otherwise timeless car.

I nearly bought one at the beginning of the year, 2006, 52k miles for £16.5k.
Yup, make more sense on that price level. At 20k a CLK63 wouldn't be top of most people's list. I bought a rough round the edges project Maserati 4200 for 10k last year. The Tuscan, Griffith 500 & Chimaera 500 were all 20k.

Just my little 2p's worth, unless you get a later SL55 the interior & switchgear is very dated which spoils an otherwise timeless car.
Yup, agreed the early ones can look a bit dated especially with the wood trims. I'm not so fussed about dated though as some are the best things in life are old school or dated. I don't mind the classics. I'm not hip or trendy & wouldn't know much about looking good too much. I agree the facelift or later cars look nicer inside though. Just can't justify spending more really. Too many cars already! If I had the money I would have 100 cars. There are plenty on my list I would love to buy, own and enjoy.

It's a tough one as they are very different cars but both awesome in their own right.

I have the CLS63 and my Mrs currently has an SL350. The CLS is an event to drive because of the sheer pace of the thing, I can only imagine the 55 is just as awesome.

The SL is an event because of how it looks and on the right day, even the SL350 is a lovely thing to be in. I can imagine with nearly 500bhp it's really something.

What would put me off the SL is it's fragility I guess. We've not experienced major issues with the SL but in the back of your mind you know it's immensely complex and that's without the AMG badge.

If you want something that is for a sunny day, that looks amazing and is just for you and a passenger. The SL55 gets my vote. If you want something that's perhaps a little more useable, just as good looking and a beast then it's the CLS55!

The non AMG with 700 ft/lb or the 55:devil::D:D

rockits said:
Funny you should say CLK63 as saw one today advertised but sure it was 20k.

There is a tidy looking blue one on eBay at £15,999.

Yup, make more sense on that price level. At 20k a CLK63 wouldn't be top of most people's list. I bought a rough round the edges project Maserati 4200 for 10k last year. The Tuscan, Griffith 500 & Chimaera 500 were all 20k.

I'm kind of kicking myself now having just seen what people are asking for the ones on Autotrader today.

If you buy a CLS55 I can't see you ever using the 4200 as IMO it does everything better.

Am I the only person here that doesn't like the CLS?

Looks possible...as most seem to like it. I think it looks pretty good. Not quite as nice as the Quattroporte but not far off. The extra 81bhp helps

I didn't think that was too bad to be fair either. I think if the CLS55 as an E55 in a nicer suit. Looks a little fresher, newer and sharper than an E55. Seems the best value out there from most of the similar AMG stuff.

I always saw the CLS as half a generation newer than an E Class or CLK. In reality they are probably the same or similar but the E & CLK seem a little bit more dated to me.

CLS styling

Am I the only person here that doesn't like the CLS?

Nope, can't stand being inside one, myself.

The external styling is impressive, but I really don't get the cramped interior, both front and back. I know the "reluctantly have got to be able to put a kid in the back" argument, but it's very claustrophobic to my eyes. I'd need a supply or airline paper bags if i had to sit in the back for a five hour journey.

So I'd call it a bit of an American "tick box" compromise. Yes, it ticks all the boxes of being stylish, modern and able to seat a couple of people briefly in the back, but it's a compromised compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom