CLS55 vs SL55 Advice or Opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nope, can't stand being inside one, myself.

The external styling is impressive, but I really don't get the cramped interior, both front and back. I know the "reluctantly have got to be able to put a kid in the back" argument, but it's very claustrophobic to my eyes. I'd need a supply or airline paper bags if i had to sit in the back for a five hour journey.

So I'd call it a bit of an American "tick box" compromise. Yes, it ticks all the boxes of being stylish, modern and able to seat a couple of people briefly in the back, but it's a compromised compromise.
:fail

Define cramped? There's more than enough room for people over 6' in the front and back. Personally I find most cars too large nowadays - certainly there wasn't an issue travelling in cars of the 60s & 70s which were considerably smaller.

Define cramped? There's more than enough room for people over 6' in the front and back. Personally I find most cars too large nowadays - certainly there wasn't an issue travelling in cars of the 60s & 70s which were considerably smaller.

Definitely not cramped but the low window height can make make it feel claustrophobic or cocooned dependant on your view point, even more so if you have the black interior.

The back has more room and is certainly more comfortable than many bigger cars thanks to the 'individual' seats. In fact my missus now prefers to ride in the back on long journeys as there is loads of room to stretch out even with two six footers in the front.

Claustrophobic, rather than cramped.. really...

Yes, you're right, once in, there's plenty of space. What i really meant was the feeling of claustrophobia from the high body line / narrow window, which I found claustrophobic and which I think could be an issue for shorter women / kids. And then the from seats seemed low when I swung into them (comparing them to an SL, E, or S)

Given that four door cars are often bought by henpecked parents or the forty-something children of elderly parents, this undermines the benefit. Think of the business of mounting the child seat, or a bilious 8 year old, or getting granny with her dodgy hip replacement to swing into the rear.

Yep, cars in the 60's and 70's were way smaller and we coped. (30 inch waist husbands and 34-24-36 wives) But it's really a question of choice compared to contemporary cars.

I'm not too bothered really as I'll be on my own in it most of the time

Just enquired about two TVR Griffith 500's that look decent

Jonny No-mates

I'm not too bothered really as I'll be on my own in it most of the time

There, there. You'll always have us....

Tis amazing how so many of us "have to" drive cars with load / people capacity for less than 10% of our mileage.

Griffith 500's

Just enquired about two TVR Griffith 500's that look decent

It's the perfect application for them: occasional use, not vital that they always start etc etc.

We await further reports.

There, there. You'll always have us....

Tis amazing how so many of us "have to" drive cars with load / people capacity for less than 10% of our mileage.
Thanks. I agree as have quite a few big/lumpy cars but don't do too many miles so evens itself out. I just can't drive small cars as don't feel safe and prefer the drive of a big wafty V8.

It's the perfect application for them: occasional use, not vital that they always start etc etc.

We await further reports.
Indeed. Until I got myself better organised if I jumped in a car & it didn't start I just jumped in a different one. Now most are on trickle chargers to prevent flat batteries.

Challenge is often which one is taxed as have to play the taxed/SORN game now due to the stupid car tax system we have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom